Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ebutka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Detroit
So I am traveling to Europe for 6 weeks for a study abroad program. I think it would be fun to shot with a fisheye lens. I have a Canon 20D with 17-85mm lens and my question is should I just get a screw on lens thats 67mm for about $100 or so? I know they do have a lot of fall off, but thats my idea. If anyone could help me out and made post some info if they have used a screw on, or if someone could post pictures. Thanks.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Your best option might be to purchase one of those Russian made fisheye lenses off ebay. They give you pretty good results on a 1.6x crop camera. I believe they run around $300-350. I don't know if you're budget will allow for it, but it's an option. I wouldn't really suggest a screw on filter to get the "fisheye" look.

flinch13

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2004
I agree... no use in wasting money on an accessory that you'll only use for a little while before upgrading to the real deal later. Pay the money, get great pictures, and keep using a quality lens. That's the best way. Otherwise you'll have a thousand mediocre pictures that you'll look at and wonder what they'd be like if you had used a better lens.

Lebowski

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I got the canon 1.8 fisheye a while back, and didnt think I would use it often. It is one of my favorite lenses now. I use it all the time. And its nice because its small, so not a hassle to carry around (i am used to using a canon 17-35 2.8 & canon 70-200 2.8 IS).

You can really get some cool shots with the fish.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
This is the only chance you'll get in your lifetime to take these photos... spend a couple hundred more and get a real lens. It will hold it's value for the most part and when you get back you can sell it if you're not crazy about it. Personally I'd skip the fisheye and buy a ultra-wide angle 12-24mm... but whatever you do don't waste your money of a cheap ebay lens that's going to give you poor image quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.