Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isianto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2007
Indonesia
hello all,
I want your opinion, I have nikon d40x, because of my careless, the glass on the body (I don't know what it's called) is scratch, so that when I view through viewvinder, there's a big scratch in the middle. My ccd sensor is fine. I asked the store the price to fix it. it will cost me around 100-200 USD. Can you guys give me an advice to fix it or to buy another body?
Thanks
PS: Sorry for my English

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
hello all,
I want your opinion, I have nikon d40x, because of my careless, the glass on the body (I don't know what it's called) is scratch, so that when I view through viewvinder, there's a big scratch in the middle. My ccd sensor is fine. I asked the store the price to fix it. it will cost me around 100-200 USD. Can you guys give me an advice to fix it or to buy another body?
Thanks
PS: Sorry for my English

Are you sure this isn't just a hair? It is hard to scratch the glass by your eye as it is deep in the body. A scratch on the lens cannot be seen in the viewfinder. Scratching the mirror should also not happen unless you were poking around inside the camera.

Personally, if it doesn't affect the captured image, I'd live with it.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
You're either talking about the mirror or the focusing screen. Either way, look on the bright side: if it's the mirror, they will probably replace the whole shutter assembly and then your camera will be fresh and new starting at 0 actuations again! If it's the focusing screen, for $200 you can gets prismatic or other highly improved focusing screen and say good riddance to the stock screen!

EugeneA

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
Mirror or a focusing screen?

Where is the scratch? I suspect it's on the focusing screen. If
so, send me an e-mail. I may have a spare for D40x...

isianto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2007
Indonesia
Let me try to explain it further, if you look at the camere hole (where the lense will be attached), you can directly see a mirror, and on the opposite site, there's an opague glass (kind of white milk or something like that), and that's the one that has scratches (the opaque glass). I don't know wether it's a focusing lense or not. anyway what makes me ask this question is, the price of used d40x is only about 200-300 USD, and the fixing cost the same. and even though it's done by nikon indonesia, but somehow I doubt it will be good again. I'm really confused right now, since I still like the d40x.

isianto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2007
Indonesia
Thanks dmmcintyre3 and all of you, it's being helpfull. Now the question that I want to ask, will it affect the focus of the camera? if I don't replace it? Thanks

EugeneA

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
Focusing screen.

The scratch on the focusing screen will not affect picture quality. You can live with it, or you can replace it yourself. It's not too hard, you just have to be extremely careful. You can
get a really good screen from Katz-eye for $105:

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Nikon-DSLRs--cat_nikon.html

There is couple other manufacturers of focusing screens, but I can't remember them right now.

Alternatively, I think I may have the original Nikon's D40x screen somewhere in my basement, so if you e-mail me your mailing address directly, I can ship it to you for free. I simply don't need it.

isianto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2007
Indonesia
The scratch on the focusing screen will not affect picture quality. You can live with it, or you can replace it yourself. It's not too hard, you just have to be extremely careful. You can
get a really good screen from Katz-eye for $105:

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Nikon-DSLRs--cat_nikon.html

There is couple other manufacturers of focusing screens, but I can't remember them right now.

Alternatively, I think I may have the original Nikon's D40x screen somewhere in my basement, so if you e-mail me your mailing address directly, I can ship it to you for free. I simply don't need it.

Thanks Eugene, I'm currently leaving in Indonesia, are you ok with that? if so what's your email address?

EugeneA

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
Screen

Thanks Eugene, I'm currently leaving in Indonesia, are you ok with that? if so what's your email address?

That's fine. I sent you an e-mail, just reply with your street address, and I'll ship it.

Eugene.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.