Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zirkle2007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Indiana, USA
Hey everyone. I'm looking to get a fixed lens for my D40, mainly the 50mm f/1.8 one Nikon produces. Here's the link...

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/ProductDetail.page?pid=2137

From my understanding it is a great lens for its price. I'm really just wanting to see what you guys think about future updates. Do you think Nikon has an AF-S model coming out soon or should I go ahead and grab this one? Autofocus isn't a huge deal, but I'm sure it'd be nice to have. I just don't want to wait for ever for one. Or what do you think an AF-S model would run if they release it? I could just get this one for now and upgrade later. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!

Jan 30, 2006
Not sure about the 50mm f/1.8, but I have the 50mm f/1.4 and it is nearly impossible to manual focus correctly with the D40.

If this is a similar case with the 1.8, then I would recommend to wait. Maybe we will se an AF-S 50mm from Nikon later this year.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Hey everyone. I'm looking to get a fixed lens for my D40, mainly the 50mm f/1.8 one Nikon produces. Here's the link...

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/ProductDetail.page?pid=2137

From my understanding it is a great lens for its price. I'm really just wanting to see what you guys think about future updates. Do you think Nikon has an AF-S model coming out soon or should I go ahead and grab this one? Autofocus isn't a huge deal, but I'm sure it'd be nice to have. I just don't want to wait for ever for one. Or what do you think an AF-S model would run if they release it? I could just get this one for now and upgrade later. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!

It's difficult to say when Nikon will update the 50mm. Have you looked at the Sigma 30mm with HSM? It's closer to a 50mm FoV and will AF, it's not as cheap, but might be a good option. If you're going to MF, you may want to get a split-screen focusing screen.

slosh

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2006
it's a great lens--i use it on a d80 and don't have any manual focus issues, but then the d80 has a bigger/better viewfinder. no idea if an update is coming out, but the 50 is nice, sharp as a razor, and cheap, and the wide aperture is great, for low light and shallow focus. i've got an older version and it is a little slow on auto-focus. perhaps go to a store and play with one to see how it does with focusing for you.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hey everyone. I'm looking to get a fixed lens for my D40, mainly the 50mm f/1.8 one Nikon produces.

I wonder what an upgrade to a D50 or D70 would cost? I bet not much. You could trade your used d40 for a used d50 or d70 for only about $100. Then you could save $$ on furture lenses too because you could use the non AF-S versions. A used d50/70 with no lens runs around $425.

I have told people that if they buy enough lenses the D80 is actually cheaper then the D40. Just compare the prices of a good used 80-200 f/2.8 to the AF-S version. The D80 is paid for twice over.

Adrien Baker

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Bakersfield, Ca.
Personally I don't think the 50mm range is all that great, especially when you're stuck with it. I had a "Nifty Fifty" and I sold it, as I probably took one picture with it and never mounted it again. Everybody recommends them because they are a cheap f/1.8, which is great if you need a standard range prime for low light. *shrug*

I'd much rather have the Sigma *gasp* 30 f/1.4 with HSM. Although I am a Nikkor fanboy and all my glass is Nikon, that particular Sigma lens is a gem in itself.

You're shooting style depends on your lens selections. That $100 could be well spent somewhere else unless you need that f/1.8. Say maybe a SB-400 with whatever zoom you have.

Adrien

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I wonder what an upgrade to a D50 or D70 would cost?

Careful how you use the word "upgrade" there. The D50/70 are a generation behind the D40. I don't know all the details but even though you'd gain the body focusing motor you'd lose other things; I don't think the sensors are quite as good, for one thing.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
If you're going to MF, you may want to get a split-screen focusing screen.

I think a split-screen would be the best option for manual focusing, but does the D40 allow for interchangeable focusing screens? I don't see that mentioned in the user manual.

EugeneA

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
D40x and split-screen - marriage made in heaven

Great solution, then.

I'll second that. I own D40x with Katz-eye split screen. What's
cool about this configuration is that I can use any AF lenses with ease. My favorite lens now is Nikon's 24mm f/2.8. It's manual focus with my camera, BUT it makes a very small and light package that I always take with me. It's an SLR with PS footprint.

Many people complain about D40's lack of the in-body motor. For me it was a plus because it makes camera small and light. I can put this SLR in my pocket when I'm out for a walk. What's better: D300 that stays at home or D40 that's in your pocket when you need it? Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Here's an example from one of my walks. Yes, 70-200 f2.8 would produce a sharper image, but I don't have one, and even if I did, I would not have carried it with me...

Attachments

• egret.jpg
    egret.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 147

zirkle2007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Indiana, USA
Careful how you use the word "upgrade" there. The D50/70 are a generation behind the D40. I don't know all the details but even though you'd gain the body focusing motor you'd lose other things; I don't think the sensors are quite as good, for one thing.

From what I've read around the internet, I don't see the D50 or D70 as an upgrade. Sure they unlock a lot more lenses for me, but the technology in them is older than my D40. What I'm looking at now after all this advice is possibly just upgrading to the D200. Size isn't an issue for me, so I have no problem with having a larger body. Would this be a good upgrade for me?

Adrien Baker

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Bakersfield, Ca.
From what I've read around the internet, I don't see the D50 or D70 as an upgrade. Sure they unlock a lot more lenses for me, but the technology in them is older than my D40. What I'm looking at now after all this advice is possibly just upgrading to the D200. Size isn't an issue for me, so I have no problem with having a larger body. Would this be a good upgrade for me?

In my opinions the D200 is outdated now that the D300 is out. It's just worlds better and has a large amount of improvements over the D200 or even Nikons old pro line like D2H's and D2X's. I'd shoot with what you have for a little while and if you really decide you want to upgrade the best bet is a D300. The D80 really isn't that much better then a D40 besides having the internal focus motor. If you can swing it, I'd save up for a D300. But for now, just go out and shoot! What you have right now is still very capable!

Adrien

zirkle2007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Indiana, USA
In my opinions the D200 is outdated now that the D300 is out. It's just worlds better and has a large amount of improvements over the D200 or even Nikons old pro line like D2H's and D2X's. I'd shoot with what you have for a little while and if you really decide you want to upgrade the best bet is a D300. The D80 really isn't that much better then a D40 besides having the internal focus motor. If you can swing it, I'd save up for a D300. But for now, just go out and shoot! What you have right now is still very capable!

Adrien

Looking at the price it isn't too big of a difference. I think that would probably be my best bet. Probably more power than I need, but I could see myself needing it one day down the road. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.