Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashleykaryl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
UK
I recently switched from an intel mini to an M2 mini pro, however I've experienced a jumpy mouse that keeps dropping out and slow wifi issues, however I have fixed both of these and wanted to outline what I did in case it can help others.

On the mouse question I was using a Tecknet wireless mouse with one of those standard USB-A dongles that can be plugged into the back of the computer. On the old intel mini I had similar problems, but attaching the dongle to a USB hub reduced the dropouts to some extent. Switching to another Tecknet model called a Bluetooth mouse fixed this instantly and since the it has worked perfectly. Just flicking that switch to the Bluetooth option changed everything.

The slow 5G wifi is something I experienced at times on the old intel mini as well, and tried various option but it seemed to keep coming back despite having a supposedly strong 5 bar signal. Recently I was struggling to get more than 50mbps on a 200mbps fibre line and around 70mbps via power line. Disabling airtime fairness in the wireless router settings helped a little, but the big difference was fitting a Maxuni network repeater and logging into the wifi network via the IP url. Seconds later I was seeing 190mbps.

My guess is that there is obvious interference somewhere, despite the reported strong signal, however this plug adaptor just blasts through it. There may well be other alternatives that work as well or better.

Reactions: BotchQue
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.