Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RazorBackXX

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2023
Lylat System
Hey fellas i just want to fix my finder window i use command n all day long long to open new finder window and it keeps pressing the letters in where it gives part of the name then ... im sick of moving the side bar to the right just for it to reset. ive deleted the finder.plist twice reset the finder settings idk what to do to if anyone knows please let me know. ive even used a script with embedded AppleScript for finder settings and no luck.

attached are 3 images of what im talking about. thanks my friends.

finder 2.png
finder 1.png
finder 3.png

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
I think that the side bar is scaled proportionally to the window size. There might be a plist flag I am unaware to set this, but as one possible solution without compromising macOS security: you can set the default size of the finder window (as well as position and some other features) using FinderFix.

Because you did not mention the version of macOS you are running, in e.g. macOS Catalina, Monterey (in 2022) and Ventura (in 2023) you can do this directly in the Finder:
  1. Open a new Finder window, do not navigate to any folder (!).
  2. Resize the window to the size you want. Adjust the sidebar width. do not move the window to your desired location yet.
  3. To lock the location and size:
  • press the Command ⌘ and Alt/Option keys together and then drag the window to your desired location;

• release the mouse button first then release the Command ⌘ AND Alt/Option keys. Close resized window.
Any Finder windows opened after this will open at that adjusted size and position.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.