Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacKnut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2020
Trying unsuccessfully to play my flac- library from my disk connected to iPad air , I cannot find any app to play my music. Every service tried wants to import music from iTunes (which is empty), from a cloud service or some other download modality requiring an additional app on my Mac or other, like FTP.
Colibri is no choice , as it is not available as an Ipad app.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

prime17569

macrumors regular
May 26, 2021
The built-in Files app has had the ability to play FLAC files since iOS 11 (iCloud not required). This might work for you.

Also, Apple Lossless is not related to Apple Music. It is an audio codec, and you can use ffmpeg or a similar tool to convert your FLACs to Apple Lossless. Here's how you do that with ffmpeg:

ffmpeg -i <input file.flac> -vcodec copy -acodec alac <output file.m4a>
(The -vcodec copy part allows album art to be copied over)

MacKnut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2020
The built-in Files app has had the ability to play FLAC files since iOS 11 (iCloud not required). This might work for you.

Also, Apple Lossless is not related to Apple Music. It is an audio codec, and you can use ffmpeg or a similar tool to convert your FLACs to Apple Lossless. Here's how you do that with ffmpeg:

ffmpeg -i <input file.flac> -vcodec copy -acodec alac <output file.m4a>
(The -vcodec copy part allows album art to be copied over)

There you go again

quote :"A Redditor discovered that the new Files app supports the Free Lossless Audio Codec, so you can store them anywhere accessible to the app, and they will play. Places you can store them include iCloud, Dropbox and Box."

Well, I want a direct way to play from my disk as I'm going places where there are no internet access.

prime17569

macrumors regular
May 26, 2021
There you go again

quote :"A Redditor discovered that the new Files app supports the Free Lossless Audio Codec, so you can store them anywhere accessible to the app, and they will play. Places you can store them include iCloud, Dropbox and Box."

Well, I want a direct way to play from my disk as I'm going places where there are no internet access.

The Files app can play local files as well (saved to On My iPhone or On My iPad) or from an external disk connected via USB-C. The article doesn't do a good job of explaining that though.

Reactions: dk001

njvm

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2018
Yes that is true, it will play FLAC files from a USB-C drive but I cannot get it to play more than one track at a time, which is fairly pointless!

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Perhaps Tiny Player for iOS and the companion app Tiny Player for Mac as outlined here? Edit: Or a web browser I found out - by using my eyes connected to my brain to read.

catnapgames - Tiny Player for iOS

Note that the guide mentions iPhone quite a lot for getting flac files on to said device, but the guide should work the same since the iOS app also covers the iPad. At least it mentions as much on the above link

Last edited:

MacKnut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2020
Perhaps Tiny Player for iOS and the companion app Tiny Player for Mac as outlined here? Edit: Or a web browser I found out - by using my eyes connected to my brain to read.

catnapgames - Tiny Player for iOS

Note that the guide mentions iPhone quite a lot for getting flac files on to said device, but the guide should work the same since the iOS app also covers the iPad. At least it mentions as much on the above link
Niece app may be, but it requires an upload and will not play directly from my disk.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Niece app may be, but it requires an upload and will not play directly from my disk.
Oh, okay.

I might have misread the offline playback feature as 'on disk playback'. I have not tried this application myself mind you. Originally I thought that uploading meant transferring.. my mistake entirely.

MacKnut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2020
The Files app can play local files as well (saved to On My iPhone or On My iPad) or from an external disk connected via USB-C. The article doesn't do a good job of explaining that though.
Actually, yes it does, one album at a time, no playlists. This is how it looks like on screen:
IMG_0165.PNG

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark

Oh, okay.

I might have misread the offline playback feature as 'on disk playback'. I have not tried this application myself mind you. Originally I thought that uploading meant transferring.. my mistake entirely.

Let me just say that I was right in my assumption that upload does equal transferring - I downloaded some classical music from a website serving these downloads and now they are on my iPhone - the screenshot attached shows the Tiny Loader interface for reference - I already transferred via web interface before this.
Screenshot 2021-08-28 at 18.38.14.png
IMG_6380042EBE0C-1.jpeg

MacKnut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2020
Certainly useful if you have memory enough on your IOS device- not me, my music library is well over 150 GB which is why I was looking for a way to play directly from my disk.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Certainly useful if you have memory enough on your IOS device- not me, my music library is well over 150 GB which is why I was looking for a way to play directly from my disk.
See, that's the part I keep missing. :'( I believe I now understand.. no further comments from me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.