Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
I got a flash a few weeks ago but just really started using it, I feel like I did when I got my first SLR, using a flash really adds a whole new dimension to photography, and a lot of new stuff to learn.

So anyways for most of my shots I just bounce off the ceiling or a wall but sometimes the ceiling is just too tall or when I am taking pictures outside I can't bounce it so I have to shoot with the flash right on the subject, so I am looking into diffusers/bounce cards.

I tried using just a sheet of printer paper folded a few times and strapped to my flash with a rubber band. Should I just do this or is there a better solution?

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Try googling "better bounce card" for instructions on making a nice, cheap bounce card... costs a couple of bucks to make

If you want an off-the-shelf solution, try googling Gary Fong Lightsphere and check out his web site. They're good, but pretty pricey (~$50) for a piece of molded plastic

bobert83

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2007
If you are just getting into flash, you might want to visit:

strobist.blogspot.com

They guy David has some fantastic advice you can take advantage of with the equipment you already have.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
I would second the "better bounce card" idea. It's a pretty easy thing to make, and really beats most flash diffusers on the market. I'm frankly not a big fan of Gary Fong's stuff. It really is just tupperware with a $40 price tag. One thing that I use when I'm out and about and away from my umbrellas and softboxes is the Demb Jumbo Flip-It. Fairly cheap, and pretty good bounce card with the added durability over my DIY card.

apearlman

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2007
Red Hook, NY
Upgrade to card stock, not printer paper

I've been happy with a flat white card, cut in a fat T-shape and strapped to the flash with a rubber band. Using a card instead of thin paper makes it easy to bend forward or back, though most of the time I just let it point straight up. The Demb flip-it seems like a good tool, but it basically does the same thing as an index card: allow most of the flash to bounce, but send just a bit of light forward to avoid shadowed eye sockets and create catchlights.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.