Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Aside from portraits, what do you use a flash gun for?

"flash gun"? Kind of an old term Do you mean an external speedlight? like the Nikon sb600 or the Canon 430ex? If so then there are many uses for the light.

• outdoors in bright sunlight shadows are harsh, a flash can be used to fill the shadows, not just on portraits but on any object.
  • Macro photography almost always needs a light
  • Any kind if set up studio style photos here you are shooting a small object, I'll set up lights on it

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Aside from portraits, what do you use a flash gun for?

Actually, I generally use studio strobes for portraits. I use a flash gun for fill flash in the field for almost any subject that doesn't have uber-reflective eyes and is in range. I also use it as an auxiliary background light for high-key portraits if I need it.

pdechavez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
"flash gun"? Kind of an old term Do you mean an external speedlight? like the Nikon sb600 or the Canon 430ex? If so then there are many uses for the light.

• outdoors in bright sunlight shadows are harsh, a flash can be used to fill the shadows, not just on portraits but on any object.
  • Macro photography almost always needs a light
  • Any kind if set up studio style photos here you are shooting a small object, I'll set up lights on it

haha, thanks for the info. i like calling it a flash gun since its kinda generalized.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.