Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MadDoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
UK
Hi,

I want to get into a bit of creative flash photography. All I currently own is a Nikon D60, 2 lenses a tripod and a SB-600 speedlight.

I want to take some shots that have me in them several times. To achieve this I would be in a pitch-black room with the shutter open on bulb. I would then need to get someone to trigger (or myself) a flash to freeze me. I would then change position and repeat to get the shot I want.

My question is - what do I need to remotely trigger a flash without closing/opening the shutter? I'm pretty sure this can't be done with my current speedlight. Do I need a strobe of some sort? What kind of equipment do I need?

Thanks,

MadDoc,

sonor

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
London, UK
My question is - what do I need to remotely trigger a flash without closing/opening the shutter?

With an SB-800 you can manually trigger it by pressing the FLASH button on the back. Does the SB-600 have the same button? If so, you or someone assisting can press the button each time you get in position.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
With an SB-800 you can manually trigger it by pressing the FLASH button on the back. Does the SB-600 have the same button? If so, you or someone assisting can press the button each time you get in position.

x2. just hold the flash near your waist, pointed up, and you'll get a pretty dramatic effect

JKitterman

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2006
The biggest problem is going to be light metering. If you are triggering the flash by pressing the discharge button,the flash will be firing at full power. You may have to use a ND filter because you are trying to get multiple exposures not over exposure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.