Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vinrom2019

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2019
Flat/Dead Battery Icon Not Showing Up on MBP 2018 15"

Is this feature removed? I have my old 2013 MBP 13" with the latest Mojave version but still it shows up the dead battery icon when the battery is drained and you're trying to turn it on. But on my 2018 MBP 15" , nothing. You'll just know that it's drained when you plugged it in and see that the battery % is 0-1.

Can anyone confirm this?

This is the icon im talking about:
mac-no-charge.png

Thanks.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I have yet to run my 2017 MBP all the way down to 0% (lowest yet was 3%), so I can't confirm.

But given that the MacBook Pro <2016 models had a different boot process (lifting the lid automatically starts the computer), I wouldn't be surprised if the drained battery icon was changed/removed for 2016 and later models.

Reactions: vinrom2019

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
I get this icon at least a few times a week so it is most certainly still present on the 2018 MBP.

You should see it when the battery is dead, but not "fully" dead. So you can test it by running your battery down and trying to turn it on once the machine powers down. you should see this icon. If you've managed to get the battery to be truly dead then you can't see this icon as the machine lacks enough "reserve" power to turn on the screen and display it.

vinrom2019

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2019
I get this icon at least a few times a week so it is most certainly still present on the 2018 MBP.

You should see it when the battery is dead, but not "fully" dead. So you can test it by running your battery down and trying to turn it on once the machine powers down. you should see this icon. If you've managed to get the battery to be truly dead then you can't see this icon as the machine lacks enough "reserve" power to turn on the screen and display it.

thanks! i tried to do the below one and it fixed the issue. after draining, it's showing the icon now..

Mac notebook computers with the T2 chip
Try this first:

1. Choose Apple menu > Shut Down.
  2. After your Mac shuts down, press and hold its power button for 10 seconds.
  3. Release the power button, then wait a few seconds.
  4. Press the power button again to turn on your Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.