Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
I just upgraded my M1 Mac mini to Sequoia and am experiencing an issue where the wallpaper flickers black every few minutes. I’ve tried a variety of wallpapers and even reinstalling Sequoia, but it persists. The same issue is described in this thread on Reddit.

Anyone experiencing the same thing and know of fix?

Reactions: hexen73

hexen73

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010
I am experiencing the same thing on my M1 MacBook Air. Flickers black for split second when I have two windows open at the same time.

PotentPeas

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2023
Not much opportunity to catch this since normally my screen is fully covered with windows, but I have observed this as well.

woodell

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2024
I have an M2 and also have this problem. Very annoying 🥲. Anyone tried using Safe Mode to see if the issue still persists? That's what Apple told me to do.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
I guess they assigned all resources to getting Apple Intelligence work right. It feels like they are so behind everything they announced.

dottdirtt

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2018
Has come good for me after running repair disk in macos recovery. Either that fixed it or i hadn’t actually reset smc previously and that happened during the process and fixed it.

Chip Chanko

macrumors member
May 1, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Same thing on a 2020 intel imac. Glad to see it's some sort of bug. I have an lg 5k ultrafine connected and it happens on both monitors. The open windows and desktop files and menu bar don't disappear when it happens, just the wallpaper. At first I thought it was the wallpaper (one of the new sequoia ones) but it does it with a plain color one, too.

Last edited:

Jmacuser

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2024
M1 Mac mini 16 ram 256 ssd. I run off external acacis tb3 enclosure with Samsung nvme ssd. Same. I thought it was obs. I started up on the onboard drive to up date and didn't notice, but wasn't on that long. It does seem to happen after away a few mins then come back, and click a few drop down menus at top. It happens randomly too. so not sure if it's graphics, ram. After reading this thread I will assume it's a bug. Hope to get a few more years out of this Mac mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.