Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russellmania79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Hi,

Last year, I bought the Apple TV 4K (latest generation) to pair with my 1080p Panasonic Plasma TV and I noticed flickering in grey/light areas as shown in the attached video (ignore the yellow vertical scrolling bars). I ended up returning it since I couldn't resolve the issue, but I purchased it again yesterday hoping that a software update might have fixed the issue -- it didn't.

The flickering is noticeable in the Apple TV menu settings and videos where there is a grey or light background. I also have an Apple TV HD and have never experienced this issue so there is something suspect with the Apple TV 4K and/or my tv. I think I've tried almost everything, but to no avail:

• Bought new HDMI cables, plugged directly into the tv, as well as plugging into different HDMI ports.
  • Tried adjusting brightness and contrast on the tv.
  • Played around with all the SDR 1080p refresh rate settings and turning on and off Match Frame Rate and Match Content.
  • Tried all the color spaces -- YCbCr, RGB High, RGB Low.
  • Adjusted the mode settings on the tv (ie. game mode, cinema mode, standard, etc.).
Oddly enough, when I switch the refresh rate to 720p, the flickering is not present. Also, if I set my tv to overscan, the flickering also goes away but at the expense of losing some of the picture (for example, the tops of heads gets cut off).

Any idea what can be causing the the flickering issue?

Thank you in advance.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
As a former plasma TV owner I commend you for preserving the tech but if this is your second ATV all signs point to your TV after all the trouble shooting you’ve done. Your TV is at least 10yrs so it was only a matter of time.

Reactions: russellmania79

russellmania79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Certified? Running a Panasonic plasma with latest AppleTV 4K and have no problems.

Guess I'm lucky. Almost 10 year old TV is working just fine with no repairs needed. Can't say the same for the previous Sony XBR tube model.

Yeah, I bought the certified Belkin cables that Apple sells. I think it's time for me to get a new tv.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.