Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
What are ways that you people that have flickr accounts get all of the people that look through flickr everyday to find your pictures? Contacts or groups or what? How do you get people to comment or is that just shear dumb luck?

ghostguts

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Well, simplest way is to take amazing photos. Well, maybe not so simple.

But, one of the easiest way is to join groups that relate to your photos. For instance, I attend the University of Michigan, so I end up taking the majority of my shots around campus in Ann Arbor, MI. As such, I post my pictures to groups such as University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, etc., and other more loosely-related groups, such as Concert Photography, Live Music, Looking From the Audience and so forth.

Moreover, I'm moderately active in these groups, checking out photos everyday, posting 3-5 comments, and adding a favorite denotation if it is one of the best shots I've seen.

From that, whenever I take photos at public events, I'm sure to e-mail links to the organizations (like dance troupes, bands, etc.) that I'm photographed.

Basically, be active in the flickr community and it will respond.

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
Start to comment on other flickr members' photos. Join some groups, post to their pool. And post comments on a few photos in the pool.

Join groups for your camera or lens. Join groups with the same interests as you. Join local groups. If you want critique, join one of those ratings groups. There are other groups that give out awards. There are those that offer challenge forum threads. There is something for everyone.

Once you start to gain contacts and friends, be sure to visit their streams regularly and comment (and fav) on their photos. Eventually you will develop relationships.

And like ghostguts said, take a lot of amazing photos...but don't post 10 versions of the same shot. Keep your stream diversified. I find posting one or two photos per day is fine, but sometimes if you overload your stream with multiple photos per day, visitors will only comment on the first photo they see, so previous ones get lost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.