Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EastCoastFlyer

macrumors regular
Original poster
I'm a pretty new DSLR "hobbyist" and have started looking for a spot to post my best stuff for friends (current and future) to browse. Have seen both Flickr and Smugmug referenced in this forum a few times -- have visited both. Not sure about the Yahoo connection with Flickr... Anyway, I'm looking for opinions on either or both -- basic versions or premium setups.

Thanks!

Flyer (past middle age, but still fearlessly evolving):eek:

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
personally, i find Flickr more inviting.If you are trying to sell your photos, then smugmug is the way to go. I have had a smugmug account, but switched to flickr and i am still at flickr.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
I like Flickr. You get 20MB of bandwidth a month and 200 picture storage if you have a basic account. A Pro account for $24.99 a year gives you 20GB of bandwidth a month, and unlimited picture storage.

The interface is nice, the people are friendly (for the most part) and there are tons of interactive groups. I'd recommend it over Pbase or something similar. I haven't really checked out smugmug, so I can't say anything about it.

applefan

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2003
No. Cal.
If you have GMail account, take a look at Picasa Web. At no cost you get 250MB of storage. The UI is pretty nice, and for $25/year you get 6GB of storage. There are two options to upload from a Mac, one is an iPhoto plug-in and the other is a stand-alone app. both work pretty well.

If you want to give it a try, but you don't have a GMail account, you can get one by signing up with your mobile phone #, or you can PM me with your email address and I'll send you an invite.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
picasaweb - an example

applefan said:
If you have GMail account, take a look at Picasa Web. At no cost you get 250MB of storage. The UI is pretty nice.......

Thanks. I just tried it. Made myself a free account, downloaded the software, installed the plug-in to iPhoto and uploaded some random images from iPhoto as a test. From start to finish this took under an hour and that included waiting for gmail to send me a forgotten password. I'd say it was pretty easy.

Now for the real test: What do you all think? I'm interested in technical questions like "can you see the photos? Is the system easy to use? Is it fast enough? Is the color OK? (I need to calibrate my monitor.) Of course if you want to comment on the photos that's fine too.

My new picasaweb accont is here
http://picasaweb.google.com/albertson.chris

NinjaMonkey

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
I use Flickr but there is another good site that hasn't been mentioned. Check out phanfare.com they are a bit more expensive then some of the others but I've heard really good things about them.

SpAtZ

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
NY
I like smugmug alot more than flickr. I have not used Flickr too much, but it seems that there is alot more customization of your page with Smugmug. Here is my smugmug site: http://www.spatz.smugmug.com/
It is pretty plain, but if you look others people's smugmug accounts there is endless customization.

If you choose smugmug use this referal to save $5. (k21r8XPxpiNXM)

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
SpAtZ said:
I like smugmug alot more than flickr. I have not used Flickr too much, but it seems that there is alot more customization of your page with Smugmug. Here is my smugmug site: http://www.spatz.smugmug.com/
It is pretty plain, but if you look others people's smugmug accounts there is endless customization.

If you choose smugmug use this referal to save $5. (k21r8XPxpiNXM)

Hi. I'm about to get a SmugMug account, can I use that code as well? By the way, I love your page. Awesome design.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I just opened up a SmugMug account and love it. Even though the OP went with Flickr, this is to anyone else who may look at this thread. SmugMug is awesome and so easy to use.

Btw, thanks to the guy who posted the code! I used it & saved $5.:)

EastCoastFlyer

macrumors regular
Original poster
I agree with Clix Pix comment regarding "ambience". Smugmug is more of a "refined" venue thena Flickr. I went with Flickr to test the waters as a rank beginner. Looking at the better shots on both sites (and others) shows me just what a long way I have to go to come close to the quality and creativity of what's out there. I appreciate everyone's feedback, both here and throughout this board -- a major help as I move along with the development of this craft.

ECF

HckySo

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
turn around
I find Flickr to be the best mainly because it's more of an inviting place which draws people in to leave comments and share and tag and join groups. It's so easy to discover photos on there where with other sites people have their own little album sites and no one comments and the interface is icky. If you want to enjoy your time with Flickr though I suggest you get a Pro account.

Foucault

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2002
Pasadena, CA
Flickr is Great!

I have been using flickr for about a year, but I became pro only a few months ago. There's just so many things you can do with Flickr from the 3rd party plug-ins to a really active community. One of my favorite aspects of Flickr is that everyone seems really active in commenting, adding notes, tags, or suggestions to your photographs. Other sites aren't as active. Flickr seems a lot more fun and inviting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.