Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
I'm looking into buying a Flickr Pro account because I've got a lot of photos to upload, after considering the limitations to a free account and what the pro account can offer (unlimited almost everything).

However, I've also been using Google's Picasaweb, it's quite good for a free account compared to Flickr... Flickr's tagging is quite awesome, while Picasa's Geo tagging is also a great feature. Flickr can also do Facebook and blogging posting too, which are two fantastic features.

• What I want to know is that are there more photographs/photograhers on Flickr or on Picasaweb? The last time I wanted to search for some *Photos* on Picasaweb, the search results came up with bad *pictures* and random snapshots. I want to put my photos up in a place where there are avid photographers browsing, too.
  • Also about the pricing. Which one do you think (or use) is better? Picasaweb offers 10GB at $20/yr while Flickr is unlimited GB at $25/yr. It seems that Flickr is somewhat better value-for-money and Picasa can be more costly in the long run, since I've got more than 10GBs to dump onto the net, although I think Google's more reliable.
  • Is it relatively easy to switch from one to the other -- so if I switch I don't have to reupload everything?
Yeah, if you have been using these services, please share your thoughts :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I've kind of been off photography as a hobby for a while, but I used to subscribe to Pbase, and I think personally that it's a much better bet for connecting with photographers than Flickr or Picasa. Almost everyone on Pbase is oriented towards photography as an art.

Jan 30, 2006
Flickr is much better for you I think. You'll find that more serious photographers are in Flickr than in Picasa.

I never really got to like Flickr, currently I am much happier with MobileMe. So you might want to see if the other features MobileMe offers might compensate the higher price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.