Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hyroboarder

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Can someone help me with this sweet effect I have tried before but can't figure out. It shows 5 to 10 shots of one thing moving, but on one picture. If anyone reads snowboard magazines, tons of ads have someone going off a ramp and the photo technique lets the viewer see exactly what they did, not just one shot.

In other words, about 10 frames (superimposed i guess?) on one photo.

mst0192

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2003
Can someone help me with this sweet effect I have tried before but can't figure out. It shows 5 to 10 shots of one thing moving, but on one picture. If anyone reads snowboard magazines, tons of ads have someone going off a ramp and the photo technique lets the viewer see exactly what they did, not just one shot.

take a highend-dslr, put it on a tripod, wait till the boarder comes, use burst?-mode to take about 10 pictures of the boarder during his jump.
then you have 10 images, all identical exept of the boarders position. now just cut the boarder out of image 2-10 and paste them all on image 1 (at their original individual position of course)

so its quite simple – take photographs of the movement, isolate this movement and paste the whole movement on one background.

hyroboarder

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
hahahahaha wow I'm stupid. I don't have a "high end" dslr like a mark II or anything, but I at least have burst mode and I know how to do that. I just didn't realize I could copy and paste now I am chuckling at how stupid I am. Thanks for enlightening me to the world of copy and paste lol. (im being serious)

mst0192

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2003
hahahahaha wow I'm stupid. I don't have a "high end" dslr like a mark II or anything, but I at least have burst mode and I know how to do that. I just didn't realize I could copy and paste now I am chuckling at how stupid I am. Thanks for enlightening me to the world of copy and paste lol. (im being serious)

you are welcome.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

You can set the camera to underexpose, strobe the 10 times with the shutter open, then take an image of the background to merge in if you want even background lighting.

Here's a film example of the technique:

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=academy&article=052305

Edit: Here's another example

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/text-digital-stroboscopy.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.