Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vazor

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2020
So I have had my 16 Inch MacBook Pro for about 3 weeks now, and I notice that there is a bit of loose foam in one of the vents under the Macbook. It's kind of weird because I have had the exact same issue with my 2017 MacBook Pro. I got that problem fixed at the Apple store, but they told me they had never seen it before. I also couldn't find anything online about the problem so it doesn't seem to be very common. I figured today that I should see if they fixed the way these vents are built and they did. There only seems to be metal. So what is so strange is that in the vent, two pieces of metal seem to be pressed together. It's probably the bottom side of the case connecting with the top side. I checked out the right vent first so I was glad that there was no more foam. Well that happiness didn't last very long, because when I checked out the left vent I found out that between those 2 pieces of metal there is now a bit of foam sticking out. Does anyone else have this problem?
IMG_9938.JPG

Last edited:

Dhock_Holiday

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2019
Hard to tell from the pictures but that is an intake port for air. Even in disassembly videos there is no foam on the inside of the MBP in that area.

Looks like some debris that got sucked in from the fans, I would get a q-tip with some rubbing alcohol and see if you can clean it off. Do you work in a dusty environment?

Vazor

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2020
Hard to tell from the pictures but that is an intake port for air. Even in disassembly videos there is no foam on the inside of the MBP in that area.

Looks like some debris that got sucked in from the fans, I would get a q-tip with some rubbing alcohol and see if you can clean it off. Do you work in a dusty environment?
Yeah my previous MacBook Pro from 2017 did have foam in that area but this one doesn't. It looks like it is coming from inside of the MacBook. I'll see if I can remove it!
[automerge]1591466958[/automerge]

Update: I wasn't able to remove it. It seems to be coming from inside of the Macbook. I updated the picture so you have a clearer view.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.