Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
What will be the behaviour of Notifications if the Focus settings in iOS 17.3.1 are made as "Allow specific people" = None, "Silence specific apps" = None.
Whether any notifications are expected to appear? If so, for what people or Apps.

Related Apple Support page link is

However this Apple Support page does not clarify my query mentioned above.
Similarly, what will happen if Focus settings in iOS 17.3.1 are inverted as "Silence specific people" = None, "Allow specific apps" = None. What notifications will appear in this scenario.

Last edited:

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
My guess is you’d see any notifications not tied to a specific person. Calendar, News, app specials, etc would not be affected by that logic.

To know for sure, give it a try & see ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
I've been noticing lately that my allowed and silenced apps in my various Focuses have kind of flip-flopped and I'm contemplating just starting from scratch with them. I get what Apple is trying to do with the focus modes but in its current form, it's kind of convoluted by having an Allowed list and a Silenced list. You'd think if any apps aren't on the Allowed list, they are silenced by default.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
There's a bunch of other things going on as well: if something is time sensitive or not, there is the Silence Notifications option under Options for a Focus.

So, the real question is, imo, what are your trying to accomplish?

Guess to original question, think will get notifications of one kind or another, as think these options are more like an OR operation. If one or the other is "true", will get a ding. Eg. first example, not allowing anyone but yet allowing all apps to ding so apps part is true overriding people.

For example, I have a bedtime Focus that has only family allowed for persons, and apps have Calendar, Reminders, but I accidentally had Messages in there. Middle of the night, I get an automated text from the woman that cuts my hair wishing me a Happy New Year and associated ding on phone and buzz on Apple Watch. She is not on the allowed list, yet the app sure was.

Last edited:

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
There's a bunch of other things going on as well: if something is time sensitive or not, there is the Silence Notifications option under Options for a Focus.

So, the real question is, imo, what are your trying to accomplish?

Guess to original question, think will get notifications of one kind or another, as think these options are more like an OR operation. If one or the other is "true", will get a ding. Eg. first example, not allowing anyone but yet allowing all apps to ding so apps part is true overriding people.

For example, I have a bedtime Focus that has only family allowed for persons, and apps have Calendar, Reminders, but I accidentally had Messages in there. Middle of the night, I get an automated text from the woman that cuts my hair wishing me a Happy New Year and associated ding on phone and buzz on Apple Watch. She is not on the allowed list, yet the app sure was.
I think you have hit the nail on the moot query I am concerned about.

Which logical operation is getting applied here is the doubt to be clarified - OR/ AND/ NOT between the Apps allowed (or disallowed) and Persons allowed (or disallowed).

What should be the expected behaviour.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.