Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedDragon870503

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
I've just got into shooting portraits and I've had some difficultly focusing on a subject, then trying to get them in one side of the picture without my lens focusing on the background.

Evaluated mode works okay but not perfect.

I find myself spot focusing then flicking AF to MF to take a shot. It's not terrible but it sure isn't conveintent.

My question, in summary, is what is the best way to auto-focus a non centered subject?

RedDragon870503

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Nope.

But!

Your post sparked a thought about how one does go about changing the focus point and I realized I can do it without entering a menu hierarchy. A little bit of a "doh" moment. Problem solved.

Thanks! Sometimes the incorrect answer finds the correct answer. :D

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
You can use center spot focusing. Half press the shutter to focus, then while holding the shutter half pressed recompose the photo and when you're done composing fully press the shutter button. Doesn't work if you're using the continuous auto focus though.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Focussing was so tough in the pre-digital age. We looked through the little hole in the back of the camera, and twisted the black thing in front 'til everything looked sharp. Ah, memories... ;)

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Search your manual for focus lock. For example, when shooting with my AF in single servo mode, once focus is acquired it is retained until I try to reacquire it. I can then recompose the photo without focus being affected. If I am in continuous servo mode, then pressing the focus lock button causes focus to be retained while I recompose (although I really should not be using continuous servo mode if I am shooting this sort of image).

(and FWIW, some bodies allow you to decouple auto focus activation from the shutter button)

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Focussing was so tough in the pre-digital age. We looked through the little hole in the back of the camera, and twisted the black thing in front 'til everything looked sharp. Ah, memories... ;)

I had a discussion today with someone (only a year younger than me) who was trying to describe some lenses he had, can't remember the terminology but, after some stumbling I realised he was talking about an aperture ring... as if it was an oddity! I found that somewhat amusing! All this EOS and AF-S!

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Or you could disable AF on half way press and reassign it to another button, so you only need to move the camera once for the initial focus.

RedDragon870503

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Wow. Thanks! Lots of info to absorb and practice.

I do truly appreciate all the responses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.