Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

telf22

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2007
ha, i saw this earlier. He is very 'interesting', probably has a couple screws loose. i've seen him quite a few times out around downtown nyc.

ButtUglyJeff

macrumors 6502a
More likely then not you'll find this interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkIWW6vwrvM&feature=related

Street photographer Bruce Gilden at work..

I seriously LOLed at the old lady..

But more importantly, how do you guys all go about street photography?

I think I got shot by Bruce once, after seeing this piece. If you want to freak him out, just say, "Hey Bruce thanks for the photo." That's what I did...............

He says he's attached, but I don't think he is really. I think he enjoys the separation. NYC is perfect for him.

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
He says he's attached, but I don't think he is really. I think he enjoys the separation. NYC is perfect for him.

Absolutely. He's got that NYC attitude that allows him to be apart, even while in a crowd.

I admire people who have the ability to truly become invisible, and get the really candid shots. I'm not comfortable enough in photographing strangers to pull it off but rarely. Of course being 6' 4", 230 lbs doesn't help either. :p

genshi

macrumors 6502a
He's a self-serving invasive ******. I've always hated that kind of photography. His photos suck too.

I was almost offended when I saw the video of how he captures his photos; I would be pissed off if he did that to me! But, I have to disagree with you as his results are brilliant. I guess it's all subjective but, he is a Magnum photographer after all and I wager none of us are (and most likely never will be.)

And to be honest, artists almost have to be self-serving to do great art. I only wish I had the balls to do what he does... it's [taking those chances] what separates a really good photographer from a great artist, imho.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
He's a self-serving invasive ******. I've always hated that kind of photography. His photos suck too.

Angry Santa. ;)

Admittedly most of the self-serving invasive *******s are great artists. At least from what I've encountered.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
He probably doesn't use model releases.

This is how most professional NYC photographers work. They are pretty direct and don't use model releases.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
I don't think I could ever pull that off, but I do like his results.

I have some friends who'd tackle him if he approached them on the street like that… others would think it was funny.

flinch13

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2004
I'm not sure how I feel about this type of work, but whenever I'm photographing people without their knowledge I like to do it from far away (300mm minimum). You can get away with closer, but you risk being seen. People generally don't like to have their pictures taken by photographers they don't personally know. I don't blame them.

genshi

macrumors 6502a
I'm not sure how I feel about this type of work, but whenever I'm photographing people without their knowledge I like to do it from far away (300mm minimum). You can get away with closer, but you risk being seen. People generally don't like to have their pictures taken by photographers they don't personally know. I don't blame them.

The thing is, every top street or reportage photographer I have ever heard or read about, from Cartier-Bresson to Nachtwey, say that to be a true street photographer, you really need to get close to the subject and not hide. It's more honest and more in the moment. That's why many of them carry Leica cameras; not just for the superior quality, but because Rangefinders are so much smaller and inconspicuous so you can get closer to people and "catch them off guard."

Still, I haven't been able to do this yet and I think my street work suffers from it. The closest I've gotten is with this photo and only because this crazy homeless guy was coming right at me as I was photographing a Chinese New Years Parade, so I just snapped away:

2256090534_8e7330af04.jpg

Larger version here

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Well, I say he gets away with it because of the type of people he photos and the location. I had photography majors show/tell me about him quite some time ago in school and my opinion is still the same about people like him. First he photos those that don't or really can't balk back at him for one reason or another (crowded sidewalks and keeps moving) so a word comes to mind (predator). Next a fair amount of his work is done by surprise and from the side (angles really) but he conceals his camera while keeping his eyes open for someone "not" knowing it's coming (I seem to see a pattern here). While all this seems to be getting "real" shots of people it also seems to make me believe the only thing different between him and a stalker is his tool of choice and because it's NYC.
I can't even compare his work to those that work really hard to be creative and take photography to it's next level let alone compare it to being art or related to art. I really believe if you followed him around to "document" his work during his daily routine he would flip because/especially if you made money by photographing him since he is as some say (with reason) in a public space. Hell, he has mentioned it many times to people that he has no ethics and doesn't care so…
The photos of street photography always make me wonder whether or not people have been asked or not to be photographed but there are plenty of street photographers out there that do ask and produce excellent photos and maybe even a story.

David G.

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Alaska

Man that is far away.:eek: You must have some really long glass to pull that off.:rolleyes::D:cool:

ButtUglyJeff

macrumors 6502a
I keep watching this, and I keep saying the same thing.................

"You can shoot from a distance, be polite, and get some nice souvineers. Or, you can be a rude SOB, be up close, and get art."

You can't mimic intimate, with a big stack of glass. Not even the $4000 variety..............

ebutka

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Detroit

How can you say he is self-serving? And how are you one to judge by saying they suck. What sucks about them? I think they are great. I like them because they are completely normal for the persons sights. He gets the picture and then the subject understands what he is doing. He is capturing them in there space.

bbbensen

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
I dont think that his pictures are that great.

I would be pretty pissed if someone jumped in front of me and took a picture. Its kinda creepy....

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
People - you, me, anyone - look a bit dorky when photographed on the street. We're lost in thought; our eyes may be closed; we have bad posture; we're not as graceful or as well-dressed as we like to think we are. If the photographer startles us, and uses a flashgun, we'll look even worse.

Yes, it take 'balls' to be quite so confrontational. But, really, the message of the pix is pretty constant: ie we're not the gorgeous, airbrushed creatures you see in the magazines... catch us off-guard and we look ridiculous. I can't imagine doing this for a quarter of a century, as Bruce Gilden has done, but, hey, we're all different.

I shoot landscape and location pix... often with people in them ('cos that's what my clients want: people enjoying themselves in the great outdoors). So I can be quite direct, too, in photographing people. The main difference is that I don't want to make people look ridiculous, and I often chat with people about what I'm doing... and why.

Most people like the idea, and I feel comfortable with what I'm doing. OK, my pix don't say much about the 'human condition'... but then I'm not sure that Bruce Gilden's pix do either... ;)

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
While all this seems to be getting "real" shots of people it also seems to make me believe the only thing different between him and a stalker is his tool of choice and because it's NYC.

It's not the first photo of a person without asking that makes you a stalker, but the subsequent hundreds after. This is the most absurd comparison.

bluesmap

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2008
if this video had never been produced his photography would not be an issue. i bet people would say how great the photos are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.