Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthewnud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2016
A petition has been made on change.org in order to get Apple's attention about how disappointed many (and, according to this petition's support so far, over 1,700) people are about this change. If you would like to support this, click the first instance of "petition" in this post or go to this URL:

https://www.change.org/p/apple-brin...n-ios-10-d0c7101e-6739-41a8-b265-5ea7bc2c7ee4
capture.png

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I think they were a bit shortsighted when they implemented this. While I don’t notice it with Touch ID, I can imagine that it is annoying for users who use a passcode or who don’t lock the device at all.

I also accidentally enable the camera far too often when I just want to interact with a notification. Everywhere else (Mail, Messages), and before iOS 10, I could always swipe from the side of the screen. Now you have to slide on the notification itself rather awkwardly, because the camera swipe competes with the same gesture. The same with Control Centre.

Reactions: teddybearstand

Kidder1994

macrumors regular
May 20, 2012
Apple didn't think about the people working with gloves (in laboratories for example)... the new home button doesn't work whitout skin contact, now i can't access even to the password screen using gloves...

foxconn

Suspended
Sep 6, 2016
Apple didn't think about the people working with gloves (in laboratories for example)... the new home button doesn't work whitout skin contact, now i can't access even to the password screen using gloves...

The home button and fingerprint sensor works with hospital gloves on... sometimes wonky but it works

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
After getting used to the new unlock method, I prefer it over sliding. Sliding to unlock is extremely awkward on larger devices such as iPhone + models and iPads.

It just seems much simpler now.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
Apple is not going to change it.

I have no password/code on my phone but sometimes the home button has double tapped in my pocket.
My pocket is leg pocket on my works trousers.

Has not yet phoned anyone by itself but it is a possibility.
This is maybe the only issue I see with the new unlock method

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple is not going to change it.

I have no password/code on my phone but sometimes the home button has double tapped in my pocket.
My pocket is leg pocket on my works trousers.

Has not yet phoned anyone by itself but it is a possibility.
This is maybe the only issue I see with the new unlock method
Well, Apple had slide to unlock for a long time as did and still do (in one style or another) a lot of manufacturers. Some years ago people also more than likely said that Apple won't change that as it doesn't make sense to do it, yet here we are. That's not to say that Apple will go back to what it was or it would happen anytime soon, but Apple can certainly change it all again (at some point).

sethlution

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
While I find the change annoying at first, I think Apple will be adamant about this considering every new devices are equipped with Touch ID.

teddybearstand

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
Raise to wake + touch ID to "unlock" the lockscreen pretty much makes it feel like I don't even have a passcode. The occasions where I just want to jump into my phone, I just wake the phone with the homebutton and it unlocks like normal with touch ID.

Of course, for me, most of the time I only unlock my phone when I have pending notifications.

But I can see how this is annoying for those without touch ID (or the slow touch ID with 6 and below) or raise to wake.

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
You use your iPhone in a laboratory where you are supposed to use gloves.. why even care about gloves if you're gonna take contamination from your phone in to the lab?

You can probably use your nose to press the home button, adding some germs at the same time!

matthewnud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2016
Alright, I understand that this obviously is pretty stupid. Though, to add to
After getting used to the new unlock method, I prefer it over sliding. Sliding to unlock is extremely awkward on larger devices such as iPhone + models and iPads.

It just seems much simpler now.
Maybe they could just make it a choice or something. It isn't an impossible feature to add (though it's impossible to get Apple to change it).

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
I don't necessarily mind having to press a button to unlock. But what I DO mind is pressing the (fully functional) home button on my iPhone 5 three to five clicks until it finally unlocks my phone. It's ridiculously annoying. May just be the old, buggy phone. Does anyone else have the same issue?

WiiDsmKR69

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2013
My opinion is that Apple are just transitioning to the iPhone 8.

Think about it..

Touch ID beneath a force touch screen.
Press once to wake phone and keep pressing ( force touch ) to unlock.

One action to unlock, but also one action to just wake the phone and check the lock screen

Kidder1994

macrumors regular
May 20, 2012
You use your iPhone in a laboratory where you are supposed to use gloves.. why even care about gloves if you're gonna take contamination from your phone in to the lab?

You can probably use your nose to press the home button, adding some germs at the same time!

I believe you gave that opinion being a scientific or a laboratorist no?

Well, in case you didn't know, in laboratories you have different things to do, some of them need sterile or aseptic treatment, some of them don't but working with gloves is a must, even if you use your phone to do some calculations...

So please, don't even try to argue when you don't know anything about biosecurity rules on lab's...

Anyway, a workaround to unlock it without using the touch ID, in case of using gloves for example, just swipe to the widgets screen, touch to open one, access to the code, then hard press on the left side and touch the home screen... it's a mess but it works! xd

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
I believe you gave that opinion being a scientific or a laboratorist no?

Well, in case you didn't know, in laboratories you have different things to do, some of them need sterile or aseptic treatment, some of them don't but working with gloves is a must, even if you use your phone to do some calculations...

So please, don't even try to argue when you don't know anything about biosecurity rules on lab's...

I was a bit sarcastic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.