Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flabasha

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
TLDR: Services for the iPad Pro are being held this Friday, on Craigslist.

So, this will be too lengthy, but here goes. I am an old school Apple fanboy, with my first Mac being the bizarre DuoDock laptop that I bought for $100 (without the dock), from the smelly IT guy at my first job. I’ve been the happy owner of many, many Macs and two iPad Pros over the past two decades (Yeesh). I’ve used the iPads primarily for art, and movie watching, though my kids use the first-gen, now-cracked iPad Pro for Minecraft, or whatever the hell they’re doing while I’m being a terrible, absent parent.

I’m a TV editor, so I’ve also been interested in the prospect of editing on the iPad. But mostly, the use case has been for drawing. While I adore Procreate and the Apple Pencil - and the AirDrop feature with my MacBook Pro - I had become increasingly infuriated by the Playskool-level iPadOS. I’ve spent hours and hours over the past year trying to find files that I just sent to the iPad, or wrestling with the atrocious “Files” app just to share pages between art apps on the iPad itself, or the last straw of attempting to import 4 fonts, and simply share them on a systemwide level between various art apps. Despite my mounting frustration, I figured there was no other game in town, due to the fantastic drawing experience of the Apple Pencil. And, I mean, Apple owns my soul. right? (It’s in the EULA.) But then… I got to thinking…

I had also felt cramped by the limited screen space of even the 12.9 inch, especially when using Clip Studio Paint, with its Photoshop-like palettes and menus. So I started searching for any larger tablets, but none existed. I knew that Surface 2-in-1 tablets came in a 15” variety, but I also knew that the pen experience was not great, and that was a dealkiller. Then, while looking at Galaxy S7 forum posts, someone mentioned the new Samsung Galaxy Book Pro 360, and how it was using Wacom EMR technology for the pen (which I’ve loved on Wacom tablets) and that the drawing experience was identical to the iPad Pro… but with an actual operating system, an OLED screen, and 15” form factor. I got a crazy idea… I’ve never owned a Windows computer in all of my 48 years, but if I could just think of it as a tablet, maybe I wouldn’t have to go to confession in the local church, right? After all, iOS isn’t macOS either, not by a million miles. So I’m already kinda cheating. right? OK, I thought, i’ll try it, feel dirty, then return it and never look back. Here, now, two weeks in, is my comparison…

SCREEN: Galaxy Book wins. OLED, kinda ‘nuff said. Not as bright as my 2020 iPP, but I draw inside anyway. Movies are insanely gorgeous, art colors are as accurate as my iPP. (Note: this is the last-gen 2020 iPP, not the mini-LED.) And it’s 15”, but in a 16:9 aspect ratio, which makes it less bulky, while still keeping movies at a juicy size.

OS: GBP, obviously. MacOS is still superior to Windows IMO, but they both pull iPadOS’ pants down and laugh at it. It is a DREAM to have a god@*mn filesystem on my art tablet. It’s heaven.

BUILD: iPad Pro, hands down. Galaxy Book trackpad clicks when you have it in your lap (in computer mode) and when you rest your hands aside the trackpad. CRAZY lightweight, but it feels like it could fall apart tomorrow. iPP is built like a tank. No contest.

DRAWING: Galaxy Book, which is NUTS. I can’t believe I’m saying it, but it’s for one very good reason… Wacom EMR. Latency is identical to Apple Pencil, BUT… HOVER capability. If you’ve ever used a Wacom, you know that the screen senses when the pen is above it, but not yet touching. This is massively important for art applications, as you can see the size of your brush (and its location) before applying a stroke. Dealmaker. Oh, and it doesn’t need to charge. Again, no contest.

PRICE: Galaxy Book, by a decent amount. For $1,300, I get 16GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, WiFi 6, OLED and pen included. Plus an SD slot to expand storage, and an actual Thunderbolt port, not like the crippled TB port on the new iPP. And 6 months of Clip Studio. And a built-in keyboard. I already pay for Creative Cloud, so I can use full Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, etc. etc., on my art tablet for no extra cost.

So… all in all, this Apple fanoldman is gobsmacked. I still have my 16” MBP (though I’ll probably replace it with an M1 mini, as it never leaves my desktop after Covid anyway). I still have my iPhone 11, for which iOS is perfectly suited… but now, suddenly, my go-to mobile computer is a freaking Windows machine, and I feel horribly guilty because I think I’m in love.

Now, that said, I’ll check back in a month from now, and if my Galaxy Book is blinking (as has been reported), or bending like Gumby, or rife with viruses, or all of the above, my review will change. It may fall apart like wet tissue paper this afternoon, and if it does, I’ll be honest about it and report it here.
But, for the time being… wow. RIP, my iPad Pro. Please send cash in lieu of flowers.

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Good review. It is a nice looking machine. Wish they had gone with a higher res on the display like the HP Spectre x360's 4K. I saw an HP at Best Buy - beautiful display.

Flabasha

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Good review. It is a nice looking machine. Wish they had gone with a higher res on the display like the HP Spectre x360's 4K. I saw an HP at Best Buy - beautiful display.
Agreed about the 1080, although… I’ve used a 22” Wacom at 1080 before, so comparatively, this is “retina”. ? Also, being a classic movie lover, almost all the movies I stream are in 1080. Plus, yesterday I drew for 8 hours on battery, and still had 20% left. My iPad Pro lasts 3 hours tops.

But still, yeah, 4K (or at least 1440) would be nice. I’m sure the next gen will have it, along with a chassis not made of gingerbread.

Reactions: sparksd

Flabasha

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Shame the tablet is 16:9, means a lot more scrolling when reading/browsing in landscape.
I love that ratio for my use case (I also used it on the plane, with the seatback tray, where I can’t open my 16”). But if I edited in Premiere on it, I’d for sure miss that extra vertical inch-plus. Interestingly, the vertical screen real estate is exactly the same as the 12.9” iPad Pro.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Enjoyed reading the comparison.

I seen a couple reviews on the Galaxy Book 360… it’s definitely a beaut! And then Windows 11 is coming along to spice it up a bit. I never really understand the disgust for Windows from Apple users, I actually like Windows.

As do I. I've never been interested in owning a Mac (I have used them from the Apple II, Lisa, original Mac and on).

Flabasha

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Sure, but the iPad displays more vertically since it isn't as wide.
No, the opposite. Windows scaling allows UI elements to be smaller, so more is displayed vertically.

When I get home tonight, I’ll post some side-by-side photos of the same project in Clip Studio on both.

Nejra

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2021
I’m a big Samsung fan and windows user, but Samsungs wacom implementation has always been terrible, fine for note taking and some basic stuff, but severely lacking in pressure and tilt reliability.
however I’m always looking for that desktop experience in my lap, mobile photoshop and Zbrush would be the dream, so I’m curious what your experience is with the s pen, my experience on the tab s7 was nothing short of garbage when it comes to painting, but that was Android, although I’m fairly sure the 360 uses the same technology.

Mackilroy

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2006
Agreed about the 1080, although… I’ve used a 22” Wacom at 1080 before, so comparatively, this is “retina”. ? Also, being a classic movie lover, almost all the movies I stream are in 1080. Plus, yesterday I drew for 8 hours on battery, and still had 20% left. My iPad Pro lasts 3 hours tops.

But still, yeah, 4K (or at least 1440) would be nice. I’m sure the next gen will have it, along with a chassis not made of gingerbread.
Weird! My 2017 iPad Pro will easily last over eights hours, and that's a conservative figure.

Flabasha

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
I’m a big Samsung fan and windows user, but Samsungs wacom implementation has always been terrible, fine for note taking and some basic stuff, but severely lacking in pressure and tilt reliability.
however I’m always looking for that desktop experience in my lap, mobile photoshop and Zbrush would be the dream, so I’m curious what your experience is with the s pen, my experience on the tab s7 was nothing short of garbage when it comes to painting, but that was Android, although I’m fairly sure the 360 uses the same technology.
S-Pen 2 (just introduced) is fantastic, to me, better than the already-excellent Apple Pencil. However, I don’t do a lot of extreme tilting, pencil-shading style. I’ve heard there’s no match for Apple Pencil if you do that, and I can believe it, the tip of the S-Pen doesn’t have that long, conical style. But pressure sensitivity is fantastic.

But, yes, apparently even most Wacom-designed pens for 2-in-1’s don’t use EMR tech, they use a different tech called AES, which is better at palm rejection, but terrible for art. You DO need to use one of those goofy two-finger artist gloves to avoid palm errors, but that’s fine, as I have big sweaty hands anyway and wear one already ;)

To your point, this specific Samsung model is apparently the only 2-in-1 (or tablet) to use EMR tech (electromagnetic resonance, it’s basically a magnet, which is why a battery’s not necessary, and it can sense proximity to the screen).

Last edited:

Flabasha

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Weird! My 2017 iPad Pro will easily last over eights hours, and that's a conservative figure.
Yeah, Procreate just crushes the battery life. Makes sense, every pen stroke is probably a series of constantly precise calculations, using not just the touch screen, but coordinating with Bluetooth. Outside of Procreate, say, just watching movies, I get many hours on a charge with my 2020.

Mackilroy

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2006
Yeah, Procreate just crushes the battery life. Makes sense, every pen stroke is probably a series of constantly precise calculations, using not just the touch screen, but coordinating with Bluetooth. Outside of Procreate, say, just watching movies, I get many hours on a charge with my 2020.
That's with Procreate. I get more with other apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.