Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

salmaa09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2017
Hey community,

I am a professional developer and looking to buy a new MacBook Pro. Why? Because I am coming from an early 2013 model which shows its ages.

As many developers, I heavily rely on the function keys in my preferred editors and development environments. As I see it, the 15" only offers this touch bar and I don't think Apple will ever release one without it in the future.

Now I wanted to ask, how you guys, who heavily rely on physical function keys, have accommodate to it. I really need feedback from the function keys, because I am often resting my fingers on the keys in the debugger for instance, so that I can stay focused on the screen.
If some sort of feedback is not possible, is there a way to remap the function keys to some other keys? (FN+1,...)

This is main concern with the new models. Furthermore, the 2015 base model is not an option. It has no discrete graphics and is not that powerful, so that an upgrade from the 2013 model is not worth the premium price.

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
You can force the touch bar to show the traditional function keys on a per-app basis in settings. As far as physical feedback though... I think you're out of luck with the new Pros.

salmaa09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2017
What about a very recent pre-owned 2015 15" that has dGPU and AppleCare+?

That's what I did
Unfortunately, it's not an option. The company which I'm working for always buys new models from their contractors.
[doublepost=1498666976][/doublepost]
You can force the touch bar to show the traditional function keys on a per-app basis in settings. As far as physical feedback though... I think you're out of luck with the new Pros.

I know. I read that the virtual function keys are hard to reach without looking. Anyway, can better touch tool make this keys are little bit wider?

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
Also, and this is not really a portable solution, you could use an external keyboard for function keys. Again, I know that's not really practical for an on-the-go situation. May help at a desk though...
[doublepost=1498667147][/doublepost]
Unfortunately, it's not an option. The company which I'm working for always buys new models from their contractors.
[doublepost=1498666976][/doublepost]

I know. I read that the virtual function keys are hard to reach without looking. Anyway, can better touch tool make this keys are little bit wider?

I'm not sure... I really do have to look when using the function keys on my machine. It is a true downside of the touch bar for specific use cases.

salmaa09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2017
@Patcell Thanks for your patience to provide a solution to my problem.
Frankly, it looks a bit dull. ;)
I use my MBP a lot in the office (with 2 monitors + external keyboard), but I also need it as a mobile solution in the airplane, train, on conferences etc.

Reactions: Patcell

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
@Patcell Thanks for your patience to provide a solution to my problem.
Frankly, it looks a bit dull. ;)
I use my MBP a lot in the office (with 2 monitors + external keyboard), but I also need it as a mobile solution in the airplane, train, on conferences etc.

Understood! I also rely on the traditional function keys for certain applications, but I have not found a great solution either. Again, it is something to consider as it is a downside on the new machines. It definitely slows down my workflow having to constantly glance back at the touch bar...

salmaa09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2017
I read that better touch tool can make this function keys are little bit wider. Maybe that would help a bit for the function keys. Does anyone have experience with that?

Last edited:

SamXO

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
I read that better touch tool can make this function keys are little bit wider. Maybe that would help a bit for the function keys. Does anyone have experience with that?

HEY, have you go for it ?!, if yes how its going so far?

I'm thinking to get it too

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
It took me some time to adjust and not rest my fingers on the touchbar. The new keyboard isn’t as “caressable” as earlier keyboards. Can’t roll your fingertip around the outer edge of the keys when formulating your thoughts, for example.

Maybe I’m too into keyboards? Been touch typing since I was 12 (IBM Selectric for the win!), and my fingers know the differences of each keyboard I use regularly, how much pressure to actuate, etc. the touchbar has been an adjustment. Sill loving my new 15” MBP though.

SamXO

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
It took me some time to adjust and not rest my fingers on the touchbar. The new keyboard isn’t as “caressable” as earlier keyboards. Can’t roll your fingertip around the outer edge of the keys when formulating your thoughts, for example.

Maybe I’m too into keyboards? Been touch typing since I was 12 (IBM Selectric for the win!), and my fingers know the differences of each keyboard I use regularly, how much pressure to actuate, etc. the touchbar has been an adjustment. Sill loving my new 15” MBP though.

How long have you been using the a new MBP ? And What of development do u do?
Another question how does the touchbar performing? Does it lag...,I'm really afraid of the touchbar stops working and I won't be able to use the function keys.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
How long have you been using the a new MBP ? And What of development do u do?
Another question how does the touchbar performing? Does it lag...,I'm really afraid of the touchbar stops working and I won't be able to use the function keys.

Since it came out in June. Picked mine up from the first batch to hit the local Apple store.

I do mostly iOS stuff. I do have some macOS stuff too, that messes with MIDI and sound reproduction to play chords/scales so one can preview what a certain scale will sound like using different instruments for playback, but mostly stick to iOS writing CoreData backed applications.

I haven’t had any issues with the touchbar not working. I have noticed that sometimes I have to be deliberate with my touches, as it doesn’t seem to like my finger sliding while trying to activate a key. It needs to be a discrete tap/push of the “button” on the display. Reminds me of how iOS acts. You know how if you accidentally tap a button in iOS, if you slide your finger off the button, then lift your finger it won’t activate the button you tapped? It’s like that .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.