Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
For those who have the 17-55, what does your lens sound like when autofocusing? Is it virtually silent, or can you hear mild sounds of gears/elements sliding around?

My copy sounds much different from the 14-24, which I'm currently renting. The latter sounds completely silent and very smooth. The 17-55 is considerably more audible, and more distinctive.

georgemann

macrumors regular
Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 silent running

I just checked my AF-S Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 G ED on my Nikon D300 and it is so silent that I could not hear anything without going into a completely sound free room.

A very quiet slap when it hits the focus limit and ever the slightest (extremely slight) wooshing sound is all I can hear.

I have a feeling your lens may have gotten some very fine sand blown into the manual focus ring of the lens, which is now grinding. I have had this happen on other lenses, but thankfully not this one.

George

Rotary8

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2006
there's a slight clicking sound when it tries to hard to get a lock (usually happens in low light situations) The sound occurs when it goes back and forth from infinity to whatever.

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
Mine makes a very small squeak which can only be heard up close, may need oiled or something, apart from that its very quiet apart from the usual clicky noise just as it finds focus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.