Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marlonapp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2015
A few months ago I bought an iPad Pro specifically for college. I had a macbook for every day tasks and and iMac that I used for games, music, professional work (music, photos, etc). As time went on, I realized that I was using my iPad Pro 95% of the time, if not more. As of today, I have sold my macbook and iMac and use my iPad Pro for everything.

Are there any similar folks around here? I’m wondering what the clincher for you was and if you would share what iOS apps and/or settings have helped you make the switch. Any tips and tricks would be very helpful! Below are some of mine:

- I’m on iOS 11 Beta 2, and this has helped me cement the choice I made. The multitasking features have made the switch b/w macOS and iOS much smoother.
- Notability and Pages takes care of all my needs as far as documents go (notes, annotating, scanning, etc).
- The smart keyboard could use some improvements (backlight, for one), but it’s a huge step in keeping that PC feel.

What about you?

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
The iPad Pro is my favorite iOS device ever. It's the computer I've been wanting my whole life. I love that I can use it in laptop mode or for taking notes all day for work stuff and then fold it up and use it in the evening as a book, magazine, TV, or whatever else. It fits my lifestyle perfectly.

I haven't "left" the Mac, because I'm still required to have one for work, but if I didn't have the Mac anymore, I wouldn't miss it.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
The file browser "might" be the clincher for me in the near future. Most of my work is PDF annotation, writing, and photo editing. When my 12.9 gets here I'll see how the workflow holds out. It'll be tough not having multiple documents open at a time, but for the most part, I should be able to get by using Google Docs and Word and switching between applications.

Of course I'll have a MBP at home for heavy lifting, but I"m hoping I can move towards iOS.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The 10.5 iPad Pro is the most powerful, ultra-compact device for high mobility use.

I would say the 10.5 iPad made a huge difference over the 9.7 iPad, not mainly just for the features, but just The added size made a huge difference and giving it more of a laptop like feel, with a display not too small.

marlonapp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2015
The file browser "might" be the clincher for me in the near future. Most of my work is PDF annotation, writing, and photo editing. When my 12.9 gets here I'll see how the workflow holds out. It'll be tough not having multiple documents open at a time, but for the most part, I should be able to get by using Google Docs and Word and switching between applications.

Of course I'll have a MBP at home for heavy lifting, but I"m hoping I can move towards iOS.

The new Files app on iOS 11 will accomplish that. Great feature!

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
I would say the 10.5 iPad made a huge difference over the 9.7 iPad, not mainly just for the features, but just The added size made a huge difference and giving it more of a laptop like feel, with a display not too small.

I agree - I think the 10.5 screen is the sweet spot compromise between portability and useability.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
When I bought 1st gen 12.9 iPad Pro I noticed myself used less my rMBP BUT I'm not going to sell my rMBP. Why? Too many reasons.

robbietop

Suspended
Jun 7, 2017
Good Ol' US of A
iOS11 was the clincher for me. While iOS9 and 10 made great strides, the iPad always seemed to me to be a large iPhone/Facebook browser.

I got the original iPad but never upgraded. It sits in my closet, I think. :(

But iOS11, the new display, the new size, and Drag and Drop finally clinched it for me.

dsr2

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2013
Have a MacBook and several iPads. Found myself using the iPads more and more but the clincher for me was the MacBook started to run very slow and I have virtually nothing on it (I'm a SAHM, not a student or in business). iPads just run faster and have a better screen than my MacBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.