Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Subhadeep 25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2021
I purchased a MBA equiped with apple silicon on October 14, 2021. It came preloaded with mac os big sur. I tried force clicking with one finger to get previews without actually going inside the link. A faint preview showed up for only a brief moment and eventually disappeared. Similarly, I tried to look up the meaning of an word by force clicking on it. A dialogue box appeared and then it was gone without showing anything. I changed my preference for data detection and quick look up from force click to three finger tap. It worked on every occasion. Under the guidance of apple support team I performed all possible trouble shooting. I returned it as they suggested and got my replacement. It seemed the same problem was still there. I replaced it again. I received the replacement on 18/11/2021. I have researched about it a bit found an article regarding intended behaviour of haptic feedback.

Dropping a pin on maps, ramping up the fast forwarding in photos app and while playing back a video in quick time player through force clicking by one finger works everytime pressure sensitivity set to medium. Except for these none of the features work including quick look up, preview, data detection (note that data detection, look up still works with three finger tap). First, I thought the problem is with haptic feedback, but on the occassions where it worked, I felt the haptic feedback. I have contacted a few who owns the same mac. They were having the same issue. I posted this on apple community and an another use owning the same device came up with this-

I believe it has something to do with the pressure sensitivity calibration in big sur. Most likely a bug that apple should be able to fix via software but from what I've read, people are experiencing the same on monterey also.

For now I set the click to light instead of medium and it work for me.
Here are some of the features that are working for me with click pressure set to either light or medium.

• QuickTime and iMovie: You can vary the pressure you use on fast-forward and rewind buttons. This will accelerate the speed at which you fast forward or rewind.
  • iMovie: When dragging a video clip to its maximum length, you’ll get feedback letting you know you’ve hit the end of the clip. Add a title and you’ll get feedback as the title snaps into position at the beginning or end of a clip. Subtle feedback is also provided with the alignment guides that appear in the Viewer when cropping clips.
  • Spotlight: You'll feel a notch when moving the Spotlight search bar back to its standard horizontal or vertical position.
  • Preview: You'll feel a notch when you align shapes, text, and other markup elements with each other.
  • Photo arrowing: When you arrow through Photos in an Album or a Moment, you can apply additional pressure to go faster.
  • Rotate photos: In Photos, when you choose Crop and then rotate a photo, you’ll feel a notch when the rotation of the photo is at zero degrees.
  • Map locations: Force click a location in a map to drop a pin there.
Data detection and quick look up is far more frequent than what I was getting when force click was set to medium. But the behaviour is still intermittent as you can see for the word configure it worked and for holiday it didn't. Moreover, I have upgraded to mac os Monterey. Force clicking a calendar event to get more details also worked on a few occasion which didn't work at all when the pressure sensitivity was set to medium for force clicking.

Here are some issues that are still inconsistent with click pressure set to light, but works with three finger tap (only the data detections and look up)-
  • Look up: Force click text in a webpage or Mail message to see more information about the text from sources like Dictionary, Wikipedia, and more.
  • Addresses: Force click an address to see a Maps preview of that location.
  • Events: Force click dates and events to add them to Calendar.
  • Flight numbers: Force click an airline flight number to get details about the flight.
  • Link previews: Force click a link in Safari or Mail to see an inline preview of the webpage.
  • Tracking numbers: Force click a tracking number in Safari or Mail to see shipping details in a popover.
  • File icons: Force click a file icon to see a Quick Look preview of the file's content.
  • File names: Force click a file name in the Finder or on your desktop to edit the file name.
  • Dock: Force click an app in the Dock to access App Exposé. This shows you all open windows for that app.
  • Mail: When composing a message with an image or PDF attachment, Force click the attachment to activate Markup. This lets you annotate the attachment.
  • Messages: Force click a conversation in the sidebar to see details and attachments, and Force click a buddy’s token in the chat header to see their contact card in a popover.
  • Reminders: Force click a reminder to see more details.
  • Calendar: Force click an event to see more details. Force click a meeting attendee to see their contact card in a popover.
This issue has already been escalated to the engineering team. I will get to hear from them on Tuesday. So far, technical support is cooperating quite well. Find the attached screenshots. Screenshot 2021-11-20 at 3.27.20 AM.png Screenshot 2021-11-20 at 3.27.34 AM.png Screenshot 2021-11-20 at 7.02.57 PM.png Screenshot 2021-11-20 at 7.04.39 PM.png Screenshot 2021-11-18 at 8.54.58 PM.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.