Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenmitchell1969

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
So, as you all know, the 2011 15” 2.2GHz MBP’s have both the integrated Intel HD 3000 graphics and the discrete AMD Radeon 6750M chip.

What I want to know is this:

I’m a Logic Studio guy and seeing as I could use the extra screen real estate, if I were to buy a new Cinema/Thunderbolt Display to use with my MBP, could I – using gfxCardStatus – force the MBP to use the integrated graphics WITH the Cinema/Thunderbolt display connected?

I ask because right now, I’m using my old 20” Dell monitor with the DVI-miniDisplayPort adapter and whenever I plug it in, the MBP automatically uses the discrete graphics - which in turn makes the fans kick into overdrive; not desirable when recording audio.

Would the same thing happen with a Cinema/Thunderbolt Display?

If so, seeing as the MBA's have only integrated graphics and can drive the external display, is there any way around this?

Thanks
Ken

Last edited:

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
So, as you all know, the 2011 15” 2.2GHz MBP’s have both the integrated Intel HD 3000 graphics and the discrete AMD Radeon 6750M chip.

What I want to know is this:

I’m a Logic Studio guy and seeing as I could use the extra screen real estate, if I were to buy a new Cinema/Thunderbolt Display to use with my MBP, could I – using gfxCardStatus – force the MBP to use the integrated graphics WITH the Cinema/Thunderbolt display connected?

I ask because right now, I’m using my old 20” Dell monitor with the DVI-miniDisplayPort adapter and whenever I plug it in, the MBP automatically uses the discrete graphics - which in turn makes the fans kick into overdrive; not desirable when recording audio.

Would the same thing happen with a Cinema/Thunderbolt Display?

If so, seeing as the MBA's have only integrated graphics and can drive the external display, is there any way around this?

Thanks
Ken

You can try, or you'll run into problems such as the computer freezing up or no image.

You can't compare the MBA's Intel 3000 with yours. They have a different path on the logic board. They're solely dependent on the Intel 3000. For you, the chipset might not have the correct pathways to drive a external display with the Intel 3000 only.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
You can't do it, the HD3000 isn't physically connected to the external port. It simply cannot work, sorry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.