Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tosbsas

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2008
Lima, Peru
Finally Forklift 4 beta is available. Devs are looking for testers. Looks pretty well so far.

You can get it here:

Download ForkLift 4 beta 1

• Love
Reactions: allan.nyholm

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Rats - I won't be using it. The one feature I needed, and I asked them for it years ago, is not there. They don't remember the expansion state of folders when in list view. This is a show stopper for me. It's something Finder and PathFinder both do.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
There are a LOT of features in this beta that aren't yet implemented (and may or may not ever be). Still, it's a nice update and I look forward to the shipping version.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I've confirmed with Forklift support that they don't support remembering expansion state in list view.

Here's an example of my currently expanded development directory - exposing the things I working with right at the moment.

Untitled.png

Consider how hard it would be to redo that if I happen to close the window. I guess I'll have to stick with Finder. Maybe I'll even try PathFinder again, since they also have this basic functionality.

tosbsas

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2008
Lima, Peru
I've confirmed with Forklift support that they don't support remembering expansion state in list view.

Here's an example of my currently expanded development directory - exposing the things I working with right at the moment.

View attachment 2185378

Consider how hard it would be to redo that if I happen to close the window. I guess I'll have to stick with Finder. Maybe I'll even try PathFinder again, since they also have this basic functionality.
Can t you Save the workspace like this in FL ?

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Can t you Save the workspace like this in FL ?

Hmmm. That functionality seems a bit buggy in the beta. But, I tried it and the expansion state is not restored. Saved workspaces didn't restore the expansion state in version 3 either. The only thing the workspace remembers is the chosen folders, not the state of those folders.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I really want a solution for this. There's so much I like about ForkLift; I do want it to work for me.

WorldChamp

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2021
Why in the world would BinaryNights ForkLift 4 Zoom in / out slider feature for photos found in all MAC in finder/viewers and other apps?

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
There are a LOT of features in this beta that aren't yet implemented (and may or may not ever be).

Is there a list somewhere? If there is a list, I'd like to see if my requirement is represented there.

I've always thought the convention for beta software is that it is feature complete. The beta phase is to iron out bugs, not introduce new features.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I've always thought the convention for beta software is that it is feature complete. The beta phase is to iron out bugs, not introduce new features.
That's "old school" thinking right there. Beta now means "throw poo against the wall and let the users sort it out."

But seriously, I believe this beta is a complete re-write, so it's understandable that he/she/they are just trying to get the foundation of the app up and running before adding features back in.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
That's "old school" thinking right there. Beta now means "throw poo against the wall and let the users sort it out."

But seriously, I believe this beta is a complete re-write, so it's understandable that he/she/they are just trying to get the foundation of the app up and running before adding features back in.

Here's hoping you're right :)

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Time will tell. The next beta is due in May. I would use the current beta, but there's just too much in the way of missing and non-working features right now to use in a production environment. Still, it's nice to see the progress.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Beta 7 has been out for a week or so. Lots of bug fixes and several features since the last post here. It's still not as feature-rich as Pathfinder, but infinitely more stable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.