Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CocktailHour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
The Left Coast
Hello! I'm running 10.13.6, and need to put my film on a Linux formatted drive so that a movie theater can play it. This means I need to format a thumbdrive for say, ext3, then mount it, and then use something like cp to copy the files over.

Been searching all over, but only finding Windows-centric solutions, or "how to do it in Linux". Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks so much!

CocktailHour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
The Left Coast
Thanks for getting back to me. Sadly, as I said, this is video. So, yes, the files and nice and big. For instance the video file itself (not including audio) is about 27GB. Thanks though. Appreciate it.

If your film is not larger than 4GB, you can format the drive as FAT32. FAT32 drives are readable/writable in MacOS, Linux and Windows.
Otherwise, try the demo version of extFS for Mac by Paragon https://www.paragon-software.com/us/home/extfs-mac/

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Hello! I'm running 10.13.6, and need to put my film on a Linux formatted drive so that a movie theater can play it. This means I need to format a thumbdrive for say, ext3, then mount it, and then use something like cp to copy the files over.

Been searching all over, but only finding Windows-centric solutions, or "how to do it in Linux". Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks so much!

Why are they running some special version of Linux with the read support for hfs+ disabled? An alternative way to get it done is to boot a linux distro connect via the network to a drive on it for copying but I still fail to see the problem as linux reads hfs+ just fine.

CocktailHour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
The Left Coast
Why are they running some special version of Linux with the read support for hfs+ disabled? An alternative way to get it done is to boot a linux distro connect via the network to a drive on it for copying but I still fail to see the problem as linux reads hfs+ just fine.
Hi. This is a professional movie projection system standard called DCP. Although I've certainly shown other formats in other theaters, some, like this one, require DCP or they won't show your film. I found some $40 software that will format the dive for one of the ext formats and copy the files over, but was hoping for some command line or freeware solution. Thanks again.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009

CocktailHour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
The Left Coast
The 10-day trial of extFS for Mac by Paragon is fully functional, you can format your drive as ext3 from Disk Utility.
The free alternative is FUSE for macOS https://osxfuse.github.io + Fuse Ext2 https://github.com/alperakcan/fuse-ext2
Yes, thanks, that's what I ended up getting. It has a plug in so one may format as ext2, ext3, or ext4. Takes a long time, but works. The ext drive then shows up in the finder, and I was able to copy all 31GB. Since there's no, easy, free solution, I'm buying this and will use it for all my films. But since OpenDCP was a free solution for Mac/Windows/Linux, I was hoping for a free solution for these final tasks.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
If somebody has any insight,
what is the sate-of-using-ext4-in-mac in 2020?

Fuse+addons were said to be flakey in the past.
Are they really?

Paragon's solution has also been complained to be flakey?
Is it really?

Anybody done any comparison of these alleged flakeyness?

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
I guess you're right.
It's just so complicated and anti elegant.
It's 2020 and once so hyped "unix certified" os can't really even use those unix filesystems...
(Trying to recover tv recordings from a messed up jfs disk...)

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Anybody know if FUSE-Ext2 is dead for recent macOSses?
Is compiled binary of 0.0.10 anywhere to be downloaded?

I find this so strange that mac users never need to read linux drives. Or those who need, have a real or virtual machine for that alone...

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Btw,
anybody know if there are any "minimal virtual linux install" packages for virtual box, that needs to be only used to read/write ext2/3/4 format drives? Minimal storage space usage, etc.?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.