Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
I have SMS messages forwarded from my iPhone to my iPad and Mac. I mainly message people in my contacts. My iPhone has a Japanese number, and all of my SMS messages are sent to Japanese numbers. On the iPhone, no matter who initiates the conversation, the messages are put in one thread under the contact’s name.

However, when the messages are forwarded to the iPad and Mac, my messages and the recipient’s replies are split into two respective threads. This only happens with forwarded SMS messages; iMessages are unaffected.

I have discovered a fix, but it is unacceptable. The region on my iPhone, iPad, and Mac is set to the United States. If I change the region to Japan on the iPad and Mac, the messages are properly threaded. However, changing the region to Japan affects what language my news is displayed in, how dates are formatted, and what apps and services I can use.

I have all of my contact numbers in international format. I tried changing the Japanese numbers to the local format, but the threads were still split.

I’d like to know if anyone has had this problem and if there is a solution that doesn’t involve changing regions. I’m curious as to why the thread splitting does not occur on the iPhone itself despite its region being set to the United States.

yass31

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2017
FR
Try doing that on your iPhone :

Settings > Messages > Send and receive > Apple ID > Change location to Japan

This will not affect the news language, dates and apps.

Attachments

• IMG_BAA5DB8F0CEE-1.jpeg
    IMG_BAA5DB8F0CEE-1.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 130
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.