Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
So I found a 5D II + 24-70L 50mm 1.2L and the 85 1.2L all in a Camera bag with no hint on who it does belong to, also no CF card inside.... I Brought it to the lost & Found office, they said they'll contact me when nobody picks it up in 1 month, I also called canon but the Camera was not reported lost/Stolen or was even registered.. (I also registered it at the local Police station) :eek:

So today the Lost and Found Office Called, because Nobody picked it up, they said it belongs to me now :D:D:D
I also have a paper that proofs my ownership :) (it all legal yea!)

But my real question is, How can I figure out if the parts are still under warranty? and can I get a new warranty card , if I want to sell it some day?

maybe one of you knows :D

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
Holy ****.. You lucky bastard! You have hit the jackpot.

I'm not sure on the warranty stuff, possibly call Canon with the serial number handy?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
But my real question is, How can I figure out if the parts are still under warranty? and can I get a new warranty card , if I want to sell it some day?

maybe one of you knows :D

Why do you care? If you shoot with it and something breaks, you can always see if it's in warranty by sending it in. If you want to sell it, then it's probably not going to transfer. I'd keep it for a while though, in case someone lost it elsewhere and it was moved to your location. Normally, you can register for warranty coverage online, but I think it's only valid if you purchased the camera- your karma's good, don't ruin it now!

jmdfd415

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
sounds like maybe a tourist left it and just figured it was as good as gone. Its good to see that you made the attempt to find the owner instead of just taking it like some people would.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I'm not sure what you mean by the Lost and Found office? Sounds like a hotel or some other venue. Besides registering the camera gear with the police, did you also turn it over physically to the police? I'm not sure how a lost and found department of a business can actually grant ownership of something like this to someone in such a short time (30 days) without it being held by the police so they can determine if it was stolen - a possible scenario.

I lost a bag full of photo gear one time when I left my bag beside my car at a hotel and drove off - yes...stupid, but it happened. Several hundred miles later when I realized, I went back, but of course everything was gone. Nobody at the hotel knew anything, so I reported it to the police. Fortunately I had written down all the serial numbers just the week before, so when I got home from my trip I called the officer who was working the case and gave him the numbers. That was it. I had to buy all new gear. I figured it was case closed.

Nine months later I got a phone call from the same officer. He indicated that one of the serial numbers from my gear turned up in a pawn shop in a neighboring state over 500 miles away. He told me to stay put, but it looked like maybe I'd get some of my stuff back. This officer was over 500 miles away from where some of my gear turned up. But, when some serial numbers matched a list of stolen property which was in a multi-state database, it triggered an alert, which eventually led to him knowing about it. He contacted the local police in the area where the item was pawned, and they went from there. It was still legally my property, BTW. I never gave up my rights to it because I lost it. In conclusion, the local police were able to trace the pawned items to a person of interest. When they interviewed him, he came clean and produced the rest of the gear, minus a few rolls of film and other small things. Even a small point/shoot camera was still in my bag. The guy said he bought it from someone, later said he found it, didn't know it was "stolen." Once the stuff was in the possession of the police, I was told I could come claim my property. I had to produce some meaningful documents, but mainly I had to identify myself. I signed a few things, and they turned it back over to me. They gave me a release document for the pawn shop so I could retrieve the items that had been pawned (which triggered the whole recovery process in the first place.) Total time from when first notified about it to recovery -- about three weeks and 200 miles travel to neighboring state. Sometimes, the system does work.

In your case, you turned the stuff in to someone (lost and found,) but it just seems to me that they awarded it to you rather quickly, and the real owner still could turn up down the line. What then?

Don't mean to rain on your parade, seriously. But that's some expensive gear for someone to simply walk away from. Something seems out of place here...

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
^^^ Good point. Just because a third party says It's yours doesn't mean it is. A sales slip from the owner trumps a letter from the police (we assume-the OP didn't say who he turned it in to) any day.

Use the equipment, but don't try to sell it.

Dale

EDIT: Just noticed ecking's point. The OP is in Germany and flint and I are on the West Coast of the US. Check local laws on property ownership.
I will improve my reading comprehension I will improve my reading comprehension I will improve my reading comprehension...

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Oh man dude that's incredible. You see I never run into that kind of luck! I can't imagine someone not coming to look for that though lmao.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I understood that this was in Europe, but my point was simply that maybe the person who "lost" the gear was traveling and didn't have the serial numbers with them at the time. Maybe upon returning home, like me, and filing the serial numbers, their stolen property report could still be working it's way through whatever system of cooperation exists between neighboring law enforcement agencies. I'm not saying that is what is happening -- only that it might be.

On the other hand, I guess in some places it's "finders keepers" in a very short time. I would think a period of time more like 6 months at least would give the original owner enough time to try to recover it. Stolen merchandise can take a long while to surface, if it isn't fenced immediately. One month to claim seems just a bit short, that's all I'm saying.

On the other hand, good on you for doing the right thing and putting it in someone else's hands. If someone of some authority told me I could keep it legally, I'd probably be delighted. So enjoy your new gear. Just keep in mind that someone else recently lost it, and they may still be looking for it.

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
Where did you find it? On a park bench? Under a bush? On a metro train? Not trying to get you to give the exact location, just curious about the type of the location ...

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I lost a 5dmkII, a 24-70 f/2.8 L, a 50 mm f/1.2 L, and an 85 mm f/1.2 L all in a camera bag, in Hamburg, Germany a little over a month ago. I want it back!!!!!!!

Sending it to me via mail will be just fine thank you ;)

SLC

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
A sales slip from the owner trumps a letter from the police (we assume-the OP didn't say who he turned it in to) any day.
Actually he did say who he turned it over to.
Communities and cities have official Lost & Found offices which are the official place where lost and found items are given to.

If nobody comes forth and reclaims the lost item, the finder becomes the new owner after some time. To my knowledge, the previous owner loses his rights to that property. Which means the new owner gets a slip that documents that (s)he is now the rightful owner and as such (s)he is allowed to sell it.

I've found a gold ring once and turned it in. Nobody came to reclaim it so ownership was transferred to me. But I remember I had to wait a year or so.

@OP
You're really, really lucky, congrats!

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
One year, even six months would seem more reasonable, but eventually all items turned in as lost should be able to be claimed by the finder. I guess I'm just surprised that 30 days is all it took. At least it's better than some places where they might just say "tough luck."

Anyway, it's a very unusual find, so consider yourself very fortunate. If you are seriously into photography I'd say definitely keep it rather than sell it. You'd probably find it harder to buy equipment that nice once you spend the money... so consider it a "gift." A really nice one at that. :)

24jg3520

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2009
One Year!

Are you kidding me! If you were the dummy who misplaced or lost over $4000.00 worth of gear, would you wait six months to a year to report it? I know if I lost that kind of gear, I would have retraced every place I thought I lost it and reported it the minute my dumb@#$ realized it was not in my possession.

Local authorities and lost and found places are just that, not STORAGE FACILITIES for lops who lose their possessions for safekeeping. Not saying the original owner was a lop for losing his stuff. Maybe he was insured or had another way of recouping his loss. Point is the OP did the right thing and is entitled to his claim. Don't blame the system!

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
Are you kidding me! If you were the dummy who misplaced or lost over $4000.00 worth of gear, would you wait six months to a year to report it? I know if I lost that kind of gear, I would have retraced every place I thought I lost it and reported it the minute my dumb@#$ realized it was not in my possession.

Local authorities and lost and found places are just that, not STORAGE FACILITIES for lops who lose their possessions for safekeeping. Not saying the original owner was a lop for losing his stuff. Maybe he was insured or had another way of recouping his loss. Point is the OP did the right thing and is entitled to his claim. Don't blame the system!

I would agree with this case, Except I think the total is a tad more than $4000.00 ;)

I can only assume that whoever lost it was a tourist, and due to a language barrier, them having to leave the country, or for whatever reason, they felt it would have been futile to contact anyone.

Although I do find it a bit odd that the camera was obviously prepped for shooting (hence the camera, with lenses, in a bag), although no CF card was present.. Just makes me wonder why it was even there.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
ok...

as a native german myself I'd like to mention the peculiar laws in germany. The police or Lost and found cannot legally transfer you ownership just because you found the gear. Also by law the waiting period for lost and found offices is 1 year, not 1 month in germany which makes me rather suspicious about the speed that the op got the gear. The reason for this is actually quite simple.
So you leave your bag, by accident, cross the street and get hit by a car. go to the hospital for 6 weeks and then go back and your stuff is legally gone and given to someone else?? I don't think so.

Next is the fact that this is huge money and will be reported to the insurance companies. German bureaucracy is SLOW and unlike Finland, where I live, the systems are not linked directly. So in 3-5 months the serial numbers get synced to the police who now have legally transferred ownership to you?. nope not gonna happen either. The problem with this scenario is that if the insurance company finds your stuff within a year you get it back and you most likely have to pay them something back (if you lost your gear and got insurance cover for it).
With that amount of money, i could almost BET that there is an insurance involved.

If the person has a receipt with the serial numbers and you just a paper from the police which magically declares you the owner after 1 month, he will get his stuff back.. believe it.

Personally, I would still call to some insurance companies and give them the serial numbers. And call a lawyer what the statue of limitations for this is in Hamburg. I know in bavaria its a year and for some reason I doubt that it differs that much.

As far as warranty for resale... get real and be happy you got the stuff as it is.. greed greed greed...
:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.