Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrdinh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
do you all know of any?...my nikon view pooped out on me on my mac

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I'm not sure what you mean by your Nikon View pooped out on you - have you tried to re-install it? I haven't ever tried it, actually, so I don't know what could be causing the problem there.

As far as free goes... you can just copy the files directly to any folder on your Mac that you choose directly from the finder or desktop after inserting your card reader or connecting your camera - just like from any external disk. Totally free.

Then there is the free software by Google for photos called Picasa. It works a lot like iPhoto - and I use it quite a bit. Just download it, and set it to be the application that opens when you insert your photo sd card, or CF card, or connect your camera. Works exactly the same as the Nikon software, or iPhoto as far as importing your pictures from the camera. Once you set it as the primary app, it will just launch automatically when needed.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I'm not sure what you mean by your Nikon View pooped out on you - have you tried to re-install it? I haven't ever tried it, actually, so I don't know what could be causing the problem there.

It's been pretty broadly reported that current versions of Capture NX2, ViewNX, and CC Pro don't work with Snow Leopard.

Info here.....

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
It's been pretty broadly reported that current versions of Capture NX2, ViewNX, and CC Pro don't work with Snow Leopard.[/COLOR][/URL]

This is getting to be like the Windows upgrade bandwagon. All software should work on any version of an operating system, so long as the required libraries are installed. There should be no requirement to go out and buy a new copy of an OS, wipe out your old OS installation or risk more problems, and keep doing this upgrade cycle so that you can run most of the latest software at the possible expense of software that doesn't work with the new OS.

There shouldn't be software that suddenly requires OS X 10.5, when no previous version did. The library files should simply be updated and possibly packaged with the software updates. If a kernel upgrade is necessary, that's another problem, but I still shouldn't need to do a complete OS reinstall to "stay current" with software updates. Then there are some people who do keep upgrading and end up with software that doesn't work, whether it's on OS X 10.6 or Vista. This wouldn't happen if there wasn't such a divide between versions of an operating system, which was the subject of a recent Apple commercial about Vista.

I should be able to download all of the patch files necessary to make OS X 10.1 as current as OS X 10.5 or 10.6. I shouldn't need to buy a DVD full of files to do this. If something is broken by a patch, I should be able to roll back the offending patch to an earlier version. I've done this under Linux, so why is it so hard on Mac OS, or am I missing something? How do I run software that "requires" OS X 10.5 if I have OS X 10.1 installed? How do I revert to an earlier version one or more libraries that are causing problems for existing software? Nikon suggests that we should "use an earlier operating system" until the problem is fixed. How do you use an earlier Mac OS if new computers have the offending OS preinstalled and you don't have an older computer? :(

Acsom

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
This is getting to be like the Windows upgrade bandwagon. (snip)

As a recent migrant from Microsoft to Apple, my experience is that Apple is simply a smaller monolith, a smaller "big bad company". The wireless disconnect fix only came down in the last couple weeks, after months of claiming that there was nothing wrong and it was user induced.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008

As far as free goes... you can just copy the files directly to any folder on your Mac that you choose directly from the finder or desktop after inserting your card reader or connecting your camera - just like from any external disk. Totally free.

Then there is the free software by Google for photos called Picasa. It works a lot like iPhoto - and I use it quite a bit. Just download it, and set it to be the application that opens when you insert your photo sd card, or CF card, or connect your camera. Works exactly the same as the Nikon software, or iPhoto as far as importing your pictures from the camera. Once you set it as the primary app, it will just launch automatically when needed.

They are working for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.