Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
Hi all,

I know this has been brought up a few times on here before but none of the threads seemed to have a good consensus and most were old...

So anyway, I have a retina macbook pro, OSX 10.8, latest firmware updates installed... and I'm still getting long delays occasionally when I wake the computer from sleep. It seems to only happen when I wake it up after leaving it asleep for long periods of time (several hours).

For example, just now, I opened up the computer and the screen came on with the password prompt but I couldn't select the text box or type anything. All I could do was move the mouse around the screen. I waited over a minute and nothing... so I did a hard reset.

Looking at the console, it looks like there was no activity since last night when I put it to sleep, which is odd because I have power nap enabled so you would think there would be occasional messages, but there is nothing in the log. There's also notably nothing from when I tried to wake it up. Do you see anything that stands out in these logs? It's everything leading up to where I had to do a hard restart:

5Iadp.jpg

Last edited:

tomiwah

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
Same issue here. I believe it is related to ML and the implementation of power nap.

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
Mine is still within the 14 day "return period". Should I exchange it for a new one or would it not be worth it because this happens with all of them?

keenkreations

macrumors regular
May 20, 2005
Mine is still within the 14 day "return period". Should I exchange it for a new one or would it not be worth it because this happens with all of them?

Try disabling the "Power Nap" feature from the Energy Saver preferences and see if it resolves the issue. I have a similar problem, but I just wait for it to pass before I use the laptop.

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
Try disabling the "Power Nap" feature from the Energy Saver preferences and see if it resolves the issue. I have a similar problem, but I just wait for it to pass before I use the laptop.

Thanks, but disabling Power Nap isn't really an option. Obviously I should be able to actually use all of the functions that a brand new $2k+ computer supports. I'll try calling Apple Care again and see if I get a better response.

tibi08

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Brighton, UK
Did anyone find an answer to this? Am I correct in saying it's the implementation of Apple's deep sleep feature which activates after 1hr of sleep when no power cable is connected?

dartox

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
Hi all,

I know this has been brought up a few times on here before but none of the threads seemed to have a good consensus and most were old...

So anyway, I have a retina macbook pro, OSX 10.8, latest firmware updates installed... and I'm still getting long delays occasionally when I wake the computer from sleep. It seems to only happen when I wake it up after leaving it asleep for long periods of time (several hours).

For example, just now, I opened up the computer and the screen came on with the password prompt but I couldn't select the text box or type anything. All I could do was move the mouse around the screen. I waited over a minute and nothing... so I did a hard reset.

Looking at the console, it looks like there was no activity since last night when I put it to sleep, which is odd because I have power nap enabled so you would think there would be occasional messages, but there is nothing in the log. There's also notably nothing from when I tried to wake it up. Do you see anything that stands out in these logs? It's everything leading up to where I had to do a hard restart:

5Iadp.jpg

There are a few explanations for this:

I've noticed this happen a couple of times after I sleep it after closing FCP or having 10-15 apps open prior to sleep. The delay is caused by the system releasing inactive memory to free memory before presenting the login screen.

Occasionally, when I'm running at one of the higher scaled resolutions, there is a delay and a blue flash before presenting the login screen. Other people have reported this, and I'm guessing the OS is scaling the login screen because this is not an issue at 1440x900.

As for Power Nap, I haven't noticed a difference in behavior whether it is on or off, so I'm ruling that out (for now) as a cause of the delay.

Last edited:

Rocky244

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
There'a a difference between the deep sleep wait and the issue that the OP is having.

Everyone should be experiencing a small amount of wait (up to 5 seconds) after their computer has been asleep for over an hour, due to the hibernate mode of the computer, unless of course they user turned this off.

If the user is experiencing up to a minute of freeze (as the OP has said), there is no way that that is due to the deep sleep option. The deep sleep option just makes it necessary to write the contents of the hard drive back to the ram so it can be used again. With an SSD in the retina, even 16 gb of ram used would not be enough to cause that much of a delay.

I had the non responsive issue with my retina back when I was still using Lion. So I don't think this issue is necessarily tied to ML. Although, since ML I have not had the issue, but I also had been actively trying to fix it at the time of my upgrade, so I can't safely say if my advances helped, or if ML itself fixed it.

Either way, if I were you I would be taking a look at the programs I am running before I enter sleep, and what seems to show up on the console screen after I have this issue. Whenever I was forced to hard reset, I would copy the entire console log of that whole episode (night before included), and paste it into a txt document to keep track of any changes when the issue wasn't occuring. I narrowed it down to Growl, and after updating Growl the problem went away, but then I upgraded to ML and now use notification center anyway, because to be honest I hate Growl.

If necessary, do a clean install, and slowly add applications back, keeping track of when you add them and when (or if) the problem reoccurs.

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
Just wanted to update this thread and say for the record that this is indeed a hardware issue. After four repairs and countless hours of troubleshooting (yes, it really has taken me over 6 months to get the issue fixed) they finally figured out what was wrong with it; bad memory module (aka "flash", aka SSD).

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
Just wanted to update this thread and say for the record that this is indeed a hardware issue. After four repairs and countless hours of troubleshooting (yes, it really has taken me over 6 months to get the issue fixed) they finally figured out what was wrong with it; bad memory module (aka "flash", aka SSD).

I have this same issue. Started recently. I open the lid after a goodnight sleep and the screen turns on, but i cannot enter the password. The screen is frozen for a few seconds and then I am allowed to enter the password. Idk how to explain it to Apple. They might not believe me or just do some BS thing like hard reset it or say they don't notice the problem. I do have AppleCare btw. Any thoughts of how I should approach them?

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
I have this same issue. Started recently. I open the lid after a goodnight sleep and the screen turns on, but i cannot enter the password. The screen is frozen for a few seconds and then I am allowed to enter the password. Idk how to explain it to Apple. They might not believe me or just do some BS thing like hard reset it or say they don't notice the problem. I do have AppleCare btw. Any thoughts of how I should approach them?

Not the same thing. I'm glad you brought this up because I might not have been clear and it's easy to confuse. The issue I had is that the screen is frozen permanently when it wakes up from sleep. As in, no amount of waiting will fix it. I once let it sit for 30 minutes and there was no change. The only thing you can do at that point is a hard-reset.

The issue you describe is normal (it happens on my new replacement unit and is expected). It is a byproduct of the system dumping everything from the ssd back into RAM so it can resume operation.

Interestingly, you can eliminate this delay by changing the "hibernate mode" to "0" instead of the default "3". Note that this will disable "safe sleep", which means if your battery fails (or drains all the way to zero) while the computer is asleep, you might loose any unsaved data. The trade-off however is that your computer will always wake up quickly and you won't see that delay anymore. It's a personal preference.

The command to disable safe sleep is:
Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

and the command to re-enable it is:
Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3

Copy and paste either of those into your terminal to apply. You can read more about hibernation states here.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
Not the same thing. I'm glad you brought this up because I might not have been clear and it's easy to confuse. The issue I had is that the screen is frozen permanently when it wakes up from sleep. As in, no amount of waiting will fix it. I once let it sit for 30 minutes and there was no change. The only thing you can do at that point is a hard-reset.

The issue you describe is normal (it happens on my new replacement unit and is expected). It is a byproduct of the system dumping everything from the ssd back into RAM so it can resume operation.

Interestingly, you can eliminate this delay by changing the "hibernate mode" to "0" instead of the default "3". Note that this will disable "safe sleep", which means if your battery fails (or drains all the way to zero) while the computer is asleep, you might loose any unsaved data. The trade-off however is that your computer will always wake up quickly and you won't see that delay anymore. It's a personal preference.

The command to disable safe sleep is:
Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

and the command to re-enable it is:
Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3

Copy and paste either of those into your terminal to apply. You can read more about hibernation states here.

Great tip. Gonna disable safe sleep. I never run my rMBP less than 10% when on battery so I got nothing to worry about :roll eyes:

But I'm mad I have to do this. Never was an issue before.

Last edited:

ValueArb

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010

Stennesrc

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2013
I'm having this same problem. I brought my macbook to the Genius Bar to fix an image retention problem. When I got it back, the freezing started. They immediately checked it back into AppleCare, and reinstalled ML. The freezing continued. Then they did a full erase and instal, nevertheless, the problem persists. They believe they've ruled out the possibility of a software problem, so they've ordered a new logic board today. I feel like this is a result of them replacing the display...any thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.