Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adrian451

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2017
Ontario
I am currently in contact with Apple concerning this and as of this present time, they are being helpful, but it is clear to me that they are as yet unwilling to admit there is a problem.

It appears to have all the signs of a memory leak. The imac will freeze at any given point with no warning
examples with multiple apps open or just one or even when computer is idle with nothing on the surface open. Suggestions were to screen grab activity monitor, however rather difficult when the whole computer has frozen.

Other suggestion run in safe mode, not helpful as I cannot use various items such ext Mic as it does not recognize it. I am beginning to feel I am going round in circles, I also notice that applications take longer to open than previous version

The reason for upgrade was to remove that annoying issue with wifi dropping off for no reason wish I had never upgraded, that was a minor issue compared with this. Now the computer is as reliable as a PC very sad!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Title changed to macOS, which is he OS used for Macs, not iOS and the thread moved to the appropriate forum

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
Sounds more like faulty RAM, not a memory leak. That would slow down the computer but not downright halt it. Try running the Apple Hardware Test: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201257

Safe mode is meant for diagnosis: if the issue doesn't manifest on safe mode, chances are it's done third-party (not Apple's default) device driver or app that causes this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.