Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
All my newer Apple devices seem to have random WiFi disconnect issues. Just wondering if anyone else out there has also experienced this?

1) Saw this on the iPhone 11 Pro Max. Replaced it, same thing. Sold it, went back to using my XS Max, no issues.

2) I bought a 2020 12.9" iPad Pro and it randomly lost WiFI connectivity here and there. Of all my devices, this has the most issues. Exchanged for a different reason, and the second one also does this. I can't make a FaceTime call without it losing signal. It shows that its connected, but it's not. Turning the wifi off and on fixes it for a while, but then the call will eventually hang again. Same for when I use Airplay mirroring. Meanwhile, the 2018 iPad Pro 11" has no issues of this type.

3) The MacBook Air M1 also does what the iPad does, but a little less frequently. If I do anything during a file transfer from my server (watch a video, make a call etc) the WiFi stops working.

4) The iPhone 12 Pro also has random WiFi connectivity issues, but far less frequent than the other devices. Meanwhile, an iPhone 8 I have laying around has no issues.

No other devices have drops or issues at all. Between #1 and #2 I changed my router to an Asus AX88u with WiFi 6 (802.11ax).

Reactions: Yodabeesh

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Not at all on a multitude of iPads, iPhone 12 PM, couple of Android phones, and smart TVs, all on Asus RT-AC66U B1 router. I used to have disconnect problems - I had the router capability of the xfinity modem enabled but I switched it to bridge mode with the Asus and no problems since.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
All my newer Apple devices seem to have random WiFi disconnect issues. Just wondering if anyone else out there has also experienced this?

1) Saw this on the iPhone 11 Pro Max. Replaced it, same thing. Sold it, went back to using my XS Max, no issues.

2) I bought a 2020 12.9" iPad Pro and it randomly lost WiFI connectivity here and there. Of all my devices, this has the most issues. Exchanged for a different reason, and the second one also does this. I can't make a FaceTime call without it losing signal. It shows that its connected, but it's not. Turning the wifi off and on fixes it for a while, but then the call will eventually hang again. Same for when I use Airplay mirroring. Meanwhile, the 2018 iPad Pro 11" has no issues of this type.

3) The MacBook Air M1 also does what the iPad does, but a little less frequently. If I do anything during a file transfer from my server (watch a video, make a call etc) the WiFi stops working.

4) The iPhone 12 Pro also has random WiFi connectivity issues, but far less frequent than the other devices. Meanwhile, an iPhone 8 I have laying around has no issues.

No other devices have drops or issues at all. Between #1 and #2 I changed my router to an Asus AX88u with WiFi 6 (802.11ax).
WiFi never drops on any of my Apple devices.

mekump

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
when I used the Netgear Orbi as my router I too had random WiFi disconnect issues. Replaced the Orbi with a Verizon G3100 and haven’t had any WiFi disconnect issues since.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
No problems here on my 2020 iPad Pro or my M1 MBA. Sounds like you have a possible router compatibility issue or a channel problem. Try changing the channel and or frequency (5Ghz) your Apple devices are on and see if that does''t make difference. If it doesn't, you may need to change routers.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
We've got a couple of TP-Link Deco M9s. My room is a Faraday cage so I've got a satellite there (wired ethernet backhaul) with the main unit in the living room. No issues with wifi drops.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I actually changed routers a few months ago, but the issues with the newer devices persist. I was thinking its the WiFi 6 only devices perhaps, but my server has a WiFi 6 card too, and it doesn't ever drop. This one seems elusive!

Bbafett

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Georgia
I am seeing my new ipad air 4 lose wifi connection several times. Wife's that is exact same model does not drop. Both obviously on same wifi and same OS. I have turned off wifi several times and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. Reboot doesn't necessarily fix the issue either.

Other IOS devices are having no issues.

Brian1230

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2021
I’ve noticed it at my local Dunkin’ Donuts when I go there to get away from the house to either just screw around on the internet or actually do my job, it does it on both my 2015 MacBook Air and my 2020 8th gen iPad, but only when it like goes to sleep, and then sometimes doesn’t instantly reconnect to WiFi. Not as much of a pain on the iPad because it has cellular, but on the MacBook Air, if I am trying to figure out the weather outlook, it will loose the page I was on.... still not a huge deal, just annoying if I get multiple phone calls or someone is taking to me and it goes to sleep repeatedly in a short time. Thinking it is a router issue, or a way to get you to comply with time limits because of COVID.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
It's happening on my iPad Pro 10.5 since a while,since iOS 14.4, more or less but I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence.
Cannot figure out why. Nothing has changed , same router same iPad
Force restart fix it for a while.

Last edited:

Yodabeesh

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2013
I have the same issue with my 2018 iPad 11” and iPhone 12. It seems that I’m cursed as my husband has a new iPad and an iPhone 11. Enabling private browsing seemed to work for awhile, but the issues seem to have come back. Turning WiFi on/off works but is annoying, especially since I spent a lot of $$$ for the Orbi (which is otherwise fantastic with all of the other devices that stay connected!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.