Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anjanesh

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Navi Mumbai
My 2018 edition MacBook Pro 's charge was at 0%. After less than 5 minutes of plugging it in, it went to 25%. Is that normal ? Or is it a battery fault ?

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
What's the temperature like where you are?

This could possibly be explained if your laptop got very cold and started messing with the battery, and then started warming up (when you started using it plugged in), at which point the battery started recovering.

Sometimes I know my 2018 battery was getting unhappy last winter, when it was probably getting down close to 0˚C. My old iPad used to shut down some cold winter nights, even with a full battery. Became a problem if I was relying on using it for an alarm.

I expect the slightly aged battery is causing this, which realistically shouldn't be happening at all above 0˚C, or even lower.

EDIT: To clarify, this was happening to me with all devices indoors, so there is a good chance the temperature never was falling below 5˚C. So it certainly shouldn't have been happening, but it did.

anjanesh

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Navi Mumbai
Oh, its 14°C today. So it did get cold in the morning at 6AM.
The MacBook Pro reached 100% battery only after 1.5 hrs though.

Fatus_Asticus

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2021
I would do a run down test and check to see if you see a quick draw on the back end. That could indicate a bad cell.

Mipaul

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2022
I have a MBP 2020 and I can asure you that I am disappointed with it for the same reason and apple officially says that it has no problem
It charges sometiems even in 1 hour, resetting the SMC or NVRAM only solves the problem momentarilly a few weeks and then back to sqaure 1.
To make things worse i have a MBP mid 2015 with an old battery to be changed but it lasta bout the same time as the new MBP 2020 about 5 hours use.
Wish you luck with apple service I for one have givenup

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Inaccurate battery gauge usually means defective battery. If the cells are defective, it cannot hold energy and can't be charged.

If you see the same behavior during discharge (quick drops in battery percent), then it's almost certainly a hardware problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.