Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CabanossiHead

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2022
I am super confused by all the info out there on how to treat my battery right on the Iphone 14 pro.

My family charges overnight to 100 percent

I was told thats bad and you should never charge to 100 and never overnight.

I was also warned not to let it drop below 40 so I get nervous by the end of the day.

A friend told me not to charge too often a day with small amounts to stock up like...from 45 to 70 if I still have a bit to go.

Is there a proper guide on the do's and don'ts of charging? Id love to put the phone on the nightstand and charge it with the magsafe...but I am just not sure if thats what you are really supposed to do?

Sorry if this has been asked a hundredth times but somehow I am super confused with all the changes coming from android.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
How often will you upgrade your phone? And do you have access to Apple stores to get battery replacement?

If you will upgrade your phone within 2 or 3 years, then don't worry about it. Just use it, charge it whenever. Seriously, do not worry about it. The only thing I would avoid is probably wireless charging as it produces more heat than wired.

If you have an Apple store where you are, then don't worry as well. Just get your battery replaced once the battery health dips below 80%.

If you want to keep your phone longer, and/or just don't have access to genuine battery replacement, there are a couple steps to help prolong the battery health.
First, if you are charging overnight type of person, then charge with the slow/regular 5W charger. Slower charging won't matter since you are leaving it overnight, and it won't stress the battery as much.
If you a fast charging type of person, then don't charge overnight. iPhones have excellent standby battery life so it won't drain so quickly when not in use unlike Android. So just fast charge whenever you feel like it, eg when you take a shower, at work, etc.

Those are my 2 cents. In the end, nothing really much to worry about. Just use your phone.

CabanossiHead

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2022
Thanks a lot.

I am used to charging a bit before bned and then charging in the morning. But yea then I have to use fast charge.
With a 5 w. I could do that overnight and not worry.

I think the closest store is an hour away its manageable.

Right now I cant find a MFi certified 5w charging brick. The one in the apple store is sold out

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Forget everything from strangers on the internet and just follow the recommendations of the engineers at Apple. Generally, don't worry about it. I think it's a waste of time and effort trying to manually manage the battery when the operating system and hardware can do it better.

reppans

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
Battery University is always a good place to start, but it really depends on your usage pattern, upgrade cycle, and even willingness to learn/try new things.

Lots of good credible, corroborating, scientific research out there, but make no mistake, it’ll take some effort to derive the right methods for you, esp. give all the conflicting advice out there.

LOL - IMHO, the Apple engineers have actually designed a good ploy to use your battery/phone as a crowdsource AirTag Beacon with it’s ‘battery optimization’ feature. You can fully automate (shortcut/smartplug) a much better custom optimization.

Reactions: CabanossiHead

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
In my experience iPhone battery health decreases 1st year a lot. My 12PM battery health went down to 91% after a year of careful charging. But now, after two years, it's still at 91%!. My wife never bother about charging procedures. She charge her 13 whenever she likes. Leaving it on changing overnight mostly. But her battery health is at 94% after a year of careless charging.

tyrone841

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2010
Austria
I've had my iPhone Xs Max for 4 years now, and I've basically had it on a wireless charger during the entire day (8 am - 5 pm) and on the weekends / evenings charged it when necessary with a cable. Battery health is still around 86% - so I'd say just use it how you feel comfortable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.