Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ralpa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2015
Dear Steve,

How are you doing in heaven? I miss you a lot, especially your keynotes. Apple's keynotes have been boring since 2011. You should be pretty pissed if you have seen it.

I had insisted to use iPhone SE for 1.5 years, loving the size of the phone, one hand typing while riding subway when everybody is squeezing around me. However, since I updated to iOS 11, it has been lagging a lot, sometimes photos wouldn't show up in photo app after I took them, some third party apps would just not load even they claim to be compatible with iOS 11.

After considered for a few days, I decided to replace my SE with an iPhone 8 Plus. After using for a week, I love it honestly. It is a good phablet that I don't need to carry my iPad Air 2 out every day for work. My backpack is lighter now. Camera is awesome. Sometimes I can't even believe I could take such an awesome photo. However the battery is not satisfactory. It is similar to my iPhone SE when it was in iOS 10. I thought I could at least use it for 1.5 days or even 2. Also just like other new Plus users, I am afraid it would drop all the time. Moreover, in iOS 11 they claim that there is single-hand mode for keyboard. I thought it was great because I usually use my left hand to type. The keyboard could squeeze to the left, but not the send button in iMessage app. It is really stupid. I wish I could give Tim to God and get you back.

Love,
Ralpa

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2012
Nice post.

However, I find the battery life on my new 8 plus to be absolutely stunning. I have brightness at 50% and so far today I'm at 92% battery remaining with 1hr 17mins usage and 5hrs 9mins standby. This is usual.

I really love the battery life on mine.

Reactions: blairian89

andreyush

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2015
Lol...It's not SE's fault. IOS 11 is poorly optimized.

There are videos on youtube where SE is as fast as 8.

Anyway enjoy your iphone 8! :D

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
Texas
That's a great post, and your gripes are not without solid reasoning.

For what it is worth, I have never really used an SE (I tried one for a couple of days and returned it because of the screen quality in comparison to the 7) and therefore cannot comment on the comparative battery life. What I will say is that I have loved the battery life on my 8+. I did a full restore from iTunes when I got home for a fresh software install and set it up as new; with a few battery saving measures included in location settings.

The battery life has been outstanding thus far. Mine has lasted me all day even with heavy usage (my version of it anyway) - it's honestly better than my 7+ was, and that phone gave me more than satisfactory battery life.

I might recommend trying a few of the battery saving tips (Turn off Hand Off, Background refresh for apps that don't need it, Calls on nearby devices, Push email, Unnecessary location system services, Fitness tracking, Air Drop, etc.) after a fresh restore and see how things go. Really, mine has been amazing. The battery saving tips I listed don't affect how I use my phone, and if I need to toggle them on for short periods of time, then so be it.

You can always try using low power mode when you're out and about to see how that affects your battery life - I know I use it if I know that I am going to be away from a power source for an extended period of time (traveling, etc.)

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Dear Steve,

How are you doing in heaven? I miss you a lot, especially your keynotes. Apple's keynotes have been boring since 2011. You should be pretty pissed if you have seen it.

I had insisted to use iPhone SE for 1.5 years, loving the size of the phone, one hand typing while riding subway when everybody is squeezing around me. However, since I updated to iOS 11, it has been lagging a lot, sometimes photos wouldn't show up in photo app after I took them, some third party apps would just not load even they claim to be compatible with iOS 11.

After considered for a few days, I decided to replace my SE with an iPhone 8 Plus. After using for a week, I love it honestly. It is a good phablet that I don't need to carry my iPad Air 2 out every day for work. My backpack is lighter now. Camera is awesome. Sometimes I can't even believe I could take such an awesome photo. However the battery is not satisfactory. It is similar to my iPhone SE when it was in iOS 10. I thought I could at least use it for 1.5 days or even 2. Also just like other new Plus users, I am afraid it would drop all the time. Moreover, in iOS 11 they claim that there is single-hand mode for keyboard. I thought it was great because I usually use my left hand to type. The keyboard could squeeze to the left, but not the send button in iMessage app. It is really stupid. I wish I could give Tim to God and get you back.

Love,
Ralpa

Very original...credit given.

Ios11 needs to be optimized...you should wait before installing. I'd revert if you still can.

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
Texas
Very original...credit given.

Ios11 needs to be optimized...you should wait before installing. I'd revert if you still can.

The 8 and 8+ can only run iOS 11. In regards to the SE however, it may be worth reverting back to 10.3.3, which as of this very second, can still be downloaded from ipsw.me and restored to your SE.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
The 8 and 8+ can only run iOS 11. In regards to the SE however, it may be worth reverting back to 10.3.3, which as of this very second, can still be downloaded from ipsw.me and restored to your SE.

If you have the SE or a 6s/+...don't upgrade yet. The poor battery life is a known w/ios11

azpekt

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2012
hp, illinois
Haha, well, i just swapped iphone 8 plus to SE this morning :)

This little guy works the same way its big brotha do. And costs three times less.

But, to each its own, i guess. Enjoy your big slippery expensive phablet :)

Reactions: Sunny1990

ralpa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2015
Oh great. I should do it now thanks :)
[doublepost=1506733587][/doublepost]
Haha, well, i just swapped iphone 8 plus to SE this morning :)

This little guy works the same way its big brotha do. And costs three times less.

But, to each its own, i guess. Enjoy your big slippery expensive phablet :)
Can’t agree more. It’s a big slippery expensive phablet. I have to buy a case to protect it. Then I realized the size has got bigger because of the case so then I bought those iring for it...
[doublepost=1506733954][/doublepost]
That's a great post, and your gripes are not without solid reasoning.

For what it is worth, I have never really used an SE (I tried one for a couple of days and returned it because of the screen quality in comparison to the 7) and therefore cannot comment on the comparative battery life. What I will say is that I have loved the battery life on my 8+. I did a full restore from iTunes when I got home for a fresh software install and set it up as new; with a few battery saving measures included in location settings.

The battery life has been outstanding thus far. Mine has lasted me all day even with heavy usage (my version of it anyway) - it's honestly better than my 7+ was, and that phone gave me more than satisfactory battery life.

I might recommend trying a few of the battery saving tips (Turn off Hand Off, Background refresh for apps that don't need it, Calls on nearby devices, Push email, Unnecessary location system services, Fitness tracking, Air Drop, etc.) after a fresh restore and see how things go. Really, mine has been amazing. The battery saving tips I listed don't affect how I use my phone, and if I need to toggle them on for short periods of time, then so be it.

You can always try using low power mode when you're out and about to see how that affects your battery life - I know I use it if I know that I am going to be away from a power source for an extended period of time (traveling, etc.)
Thanks for the tips. At the beginning I just transferred my SE data to 8+. Then I realized maybe I should reset it to get a more satisfying battery life. After restoring, I saw improvements but still, I have Bluetooth turned on connected with my Apple Watch, hand off function on, no background refresh, after 12hrs of normal usage mainly WhatsApp messaging, little web browsing, no video watching, 1 hr Apple Music playing, it has 40% battery left. Do you guys think it’s normal?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.