Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slix

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Hey guys!

My family just came back into owning a 2006 Core Duo Mac Mini, and while it's not a PowerPC, I figured for my question it's close enough.

The setup I would like to get working is this:
- iTunes 12.5 on a MacBook Air running MacOS Sierra with iTunes sharing enabled.
- Mac mini running Snow Leopard with Front Row (plus Apple Remote!) to view shared iTunes libraries on the local network by using the remote.

This sounds simple, but from my research online, it seems that Apple changed some iTunes frameworks in iTunes 10.4 so Front Row no longer worked on Lion. However, it seems that I can still see my shared iTunes library under "Sources" on the Front Row Mac mini, it just never connects. iTunes sharing works from the Mac mini running iTunes 11.4 to the shared iTunes library on my MacBook, but for whatever reason, not through Front Row.

Any ideas? I'd love to get a simple media setup to share our music and possibly movies and tv shows over the network to this Mac mini, so any help would be appreciated!

Reactions: Champagne_5S

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Because Front Row is trying to use an older iTunes Sharing protocol, it may be able to see the "share," but it doesn't have the newer protocol to actually do anything with it.

Slix

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
I figured that was the case. Is there any way to update this protocol to use the one that the newer iTunes uses, so it can work? Or is my idea not going to work anymore, without either storing music locally, or using an older version of iTunes to share the music from?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.