Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwatters579

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
I currently have Catalina Public Beta running. I went to boot up and the startup is frozen. I tried restarting in recovery mode and immediately get the firmware lock screen. What can I do to get my MacBook back?

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
I currently have Catalina Public Beta running. I went to boot up and the startup is frozen. I tried restarting in recovery mode and immediately get the firmware lock screen. What can I do to get my MacBook back?
bring it to Apple store, bring your receipt , they will re-programmed your bios chip for free.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Someone has set a firmware password on that machine. If it was you, then you should remember what it was. If you purchased the machine from someone else and do not have a bill of sale or some kind of receipt, Apple will refuse to remove the lock.

jwatters579

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
I'm wondering if this is a bug with the current public beta release of Catalina.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The MB that you're using...
Did you buy it new?
Or... did you buy it used from someone...?

jwatters579

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
To all: I bought it new. I found the proof of purchase and heading to the Genius Bar this weekend.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Let us know how it turns out. If you purchased that machine new, I suspect at one time or another you set a firmware password. Maybe you didn't know you were doing it? Some folks have confused setting a firmware password with a normal log on password. Easy to make a mistake. No way that's a bug with Catalina.

jwatters579

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
Well, got my MacBook back over the past weekend. Boy, has the experience at the store changed. The one I went to (Danbury, CT) no longer has a Genius Bar whatsoever. I asked the girl who brought my laptop to me what caused it, she said "Oh, I don't know." I bring it up, boot it up. Well, the lock was gone but I got the flashing folder on startup. Figured it must have been from when the beta was being installed and all hell broke loose. Well, I had to format my drive and start from scratch. Man, this has been the worse beta release ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.