Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

breather

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Sweden
Hi, I wanna share files with my family, and sometimes it's a lot, to much for something like dropbox.

I'm looking for a simple, cheap (or free) FTP Server that I can install and them have my family connect to my iMac.

I have looked but I have not found.

Any Recommendations?

breather

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Sweden
ftp or better sftp comes with your Mac. What do you mean with “outside LAN”?
Well, didn't they remove the FTP sharing feature a few years ago? Cant find it.

Sharing large and many files on my Local Area Network is simple. Sharing large and many files (via FTP) to my dad in a different city is not THAT simple.

breather

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Sweden
I have dynamic ip and now I need user/pass from my IP?
Seems like a hassle.

Know of any FTP Server software I could use?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Whatever you end up doing you should make sure the security is adequate. FTP is "not so much" secure…even with passwords.

For accessing my files from outside my LAN I've got a OpenVPN server setup on my router. Once connected to the VPN I can access the LAN computers via file sharing. With that I use noip.com for dynamic DNS. Probably not the simple setup you're seeking.

What's your estimate for how much data you'd like to be accessible?

breather

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Sweden
Whatever you end up doing you should make sure the security is adequate. FTP is "not so much" secure…even with passwords.

For accessing my files from outside my LAN I've got a OpenVPN server setup on my router. Once connected to the VPN I can access the LAN computers via file sharing. With that I use noip.com for dynamic DNS. Probably not the simple setup you're seeking.

What's your estimate for how much data you'd like to be accessible?
I just wanna start the app, share the files and the quit the app. Around 10-50GB.
To one person, no fuzz. Not gonna happen that often, once a month maybe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.