Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alebar14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2007
Auckland CBD, New Zealand
Hi there,

I am looking for a new digital P&S camera. I don't have any DSLR camera ,so therefore this would be my first and only digital camera.

I have seen the color quality of Fujifilm, Nikon, and Canon. I like it! That's the main thing.

Have anyone use Fujifilm F100fd ? Nikon S710 ? or Canon G9 ? How is their low light benefit? focusing (zooming) speed ? other pro's and cons ? Which one should I buy ?

Thank you and looking forward for your reply!

Regards,
alebar14

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I have the Canon G9, and while looking for the best I want, I used several reviews for my decision:
DCRP review
Digital Camera Info

Here's the Fujifilm F100fd at DCRP and at Digital Camera Info.
The Nikon S710 at DCRP.

From my perspective, if you only want a point and shoot camera the G9 might be a little overkill, as you can define a lot of settings with the G9, just like an SLR without the mirror.
As I come from SLR photography, but don't have enough money to buy a solid DSLR, I went with that camera.

It has a 2.8 aperture, which is a little low for my liking 1.8 would be better, but as far as I experienced, the camera is more than enough for my photography habit.

You can have a look at my blog, at what kind of pictures I was able to create with the camera, particularly the macro mode made the decision for me. The minimum distance is 1cm, which is more than good.

shfreelance

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2008
Eustis, FL
Hey,

Your blog looks cool!

Anyway, now I am considering to buy Canon G9. Love the rangefinder look too.

Cheers,
alebar14

Try and wait a bit, the G10 will come out soon (Don't get the crappy G10). Buy the G9 at a discontinued price. With the money you save, by some nice extra's or treat your self to something nice.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
Too many megapixels on a same-size sensor = lowered image quality.

But for some (surely I'm not alone), the wide-angle lens of the G10 is far too tempting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.