Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ash06

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Hi there, :)

I am looking into getting into Photography, and am looking for a DSLR camera tht shoots RAW under $600.

I found this camera. However being a newbie to this, i have no idea if it is any good?:confused: Can somone please advise.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Hi,
Although I am using Leica digital cameras at the moment, over the years I have used quite a few Fuji Finepix cameras and always found them to be excellent .. :)

(Sorry I am not familiar with the model you mention)

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
This is not a DSLR. This is a 'bridge' camera.

I would prefer an S6000fd/S6500fd.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I didn't even know these "bridge" cameras existed. I just googled it a bit and was surprised to see how close the cameras come to being DSLRs, at least in form. So they lack the mirror assembly, have a fixed lens, and can do things like make movies. Sounds like some of them have sensors as large as a DSLR (or am I wrong about that?).

In my opinion, you'd have to be really keen on having the movie function or something like that to prefer a bridge camera over a real DSLR. Presumably the reason to carry around such a large camera would be to get better photos than a compact can produce, but if better photos are your aim, you'll quickly tire of the fixed lens.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
No, a bridge camera with a DSLR-sized sensor is extremely extremely rare.

They also have an electronic viewfinder, which sucks compared to an optical one.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
They also have an electronic viewfinder, which sucks compared to an optical one.
Electronic viewfinders may suck, but have one big plus point:
On a bright sunny day you can review your images in the electronic viewfinder instead of looking like idiot with you coat over your head trying to review your images on the lcd screen on the back of the camera ..... :)

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
These cameras are typically called "super zoom" or EVF for "Electronic View Finder" because of the fact they have that feature (much like live view).

I personally am not a fan of Fuji's p&s line of cameras. Their series of DSLR bodies are quality cameras. However, it's been a few years since I've owned a Fuji camera product. Looking at the features and build of the camera, it doesn't look like that bad of a deal. However, you have a few options for DSLR's in which you can find them for under $600. For example, you could pick up the Nikon D40 w/ kit lens for about $500. You also could probably find the Canon Rebel XT w/ kit lens for about $500 or even less. You certainly have other options if you choose not to go with the Fuji camera.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
I still have my finepix s600 (?) from 2002, even though I have just upgraded to a 40D I am keeping it as the video function alone can be quite useful. I have not had any issues with my camera other than the limitations of the hardware itself but that is only expected over time.

One thing you may want to check on before taking the plunge, my camera had some wide angle & zoom lens adapters (attach to existing lens) but the gain in function from the adapters was borderline useless. You may want to see if anything like that still exists.

If you have any thoughts of needing more function than what the camera & any adapters provide, I would suggest you compare pros & cons of moving to a DSLR where you have true ability to expand out to more lens choices. Even if this is a Canon Xt/XTi or Nikon D40 amongst others. If you are wanting video & photos then you won't have any options by way of DSLRs it will just be digital cameras like what you are already looking at.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
The sony DSC-R1 has an almost aps-c sized sensor.. Although it came out in '05 it is still the most advanced bridge camera I've seen on the market.

johnsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Just get nikon D40. You will be able to shoot RAW and to expand your purchase in a future- change lens, update body or whatever, while bridge camera will certainly go to the garbage. The thing looks like SLR, weights like one, but just pretends to be one. Unless of course you want some kinda tradeoff- take movies with camera and so on.

Why would you need to shot RAW anyway?

MiBerb

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2008
Montréal, Qc
I've got a S9000 for couple of years

It's great if you're looking for good results, flexible lens (don't have to buy 3 or 4 lenses) my lens is eqivalent to 28mm to 310mm which is a very large range. The picture quality is good and the reliability too.

If you want to take sport pictures, bridge camera are not as fast as DSLR for shooting, it may sometimes be a handicap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.