Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wilburdl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2006
Atlanta
It's finally here. Full frame medium format. The H3D was announced at Photokina, and well, I want one. But at $32,000, I think I'll wait....

>>Hasselblad Launches World's First 48mm Full-Frame DSLR Camera System

>>Hasselblad is today firmly positioning itself as the pre-eminent provider of high-end digital cameras with >>the launch of the Hasselblad H3D, the world's first 48mm full-frame DSLR camera system. The H3D is the >>result of Hasselblad's strategy of taking photographic flexibility and image quality to new levels, as yet >>unseen in any competing product. When compared with high-end 35mm DSLRs, the H3D delivers >>unmatched pixel resolution, better colors and detail rendering and a new choice of viewfinders for >>creative image composition. In comparison with digital backs, the H3D delivers image quality with a >>higher level of detail and true sharpness thanks to Hasselblad's Digital APO Correction (DAC) and the >>advances of its new Ultra-Focus functionality. The H3D's full-frame concept offers unique control of >>image composition and with its new 28mm lens, the H3D allows photographers for the first time ever to >>take wide angle shots on a 36 x 48mm sensor.

>>U.S. MSRP Pricing is as follows:
>>H3D-22: $26,995
>>H3D-39: $31,995

Link: http://www.hasselblad.com/promotion/h3d.aspx

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Nice camera but no way is this a full frame 645. The sensor is "only" 36x48 mm a full 645 frame is 60x45 mm. But notice that 36x48 is exactly double the size of a standard 35mm frame which is 36x24.

I don't know if I'd want a true medium format DSLR. A few days ago I scanned a 6x6 cm sized negative shot with a Roliflex TLR. I set the scanner to 4800 DPI and the result was a JPG file about 100 megabytes in size. My under powered little G4 Mac can't do anything with this file even the scroll bars cause the "beach ball of death" to spin for _minutes_

I will put off my project to scan my 6x7 negatives as they are even larger and I have many more. I'm thinking "Mac Pro in 07" The Pro is about the minimum computer you'd want for 100MP images

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
But in all fairness, anyone who would ever buy a Hasselblad H3D and use a G4 Mac to try and edit the photos is probably an idiot. :p I'm not saying you are, but someone who spends $32000 on a camera is likely to own a computer worth more than $320.

Got a question: What was the size of the sensor of medium format digital cameras before this announcement? I mean, what is the sensor size used in the new Pentax medium format digital camera? What about the others? I don't know what a "digital back" is, so I'm probably not as informed as I should be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.