Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ismail Gül

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2020
Hi everyone,

I need help about 2 things, one is the file and folder names, when I create a new file of folder I see the names as "aaaa...bbbb.pdf" which makes reading the file name very difficult, is there any way to make the file and folder names 3 lines or full without making the grade space larger which look very ugly.

The second problem is finding a file in a folder with the first letter of the file, in windows when I press letter, it shows all the files that starting with that letter in order but this function doesn't work in macbook, and it makes very difficult finding a file from many files.

Can you please help me regarding above matters,

Thank you very much.

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
for problem 1, I assume this is on the desktop? you can make the font smaller via View Options and see if that helps. Or just use a finder window in list/detail view so you can see the full names.
for problem 2, when you search, it defaults to the slower, full-disk search. To speed it up, set the search to only look in the current folder. This still may not work the way you want, as the search is looking at content AND filenames, so typing a single letter will probably still end up matching almost everything. You have to type a few characters to narrow it down.
There may be 3rd party search utilities that work the way you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.