Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theitsage

Suspended
Aug 28, 2005
This should work out of the box. $150 is too close to the RX 470 though. You're trading performance for a non-hassle Polaris GPU.

Foamsoup

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010
Hi, I'm doing CAD work on a 5.1 Mac Pro, and looking for a "non-hassle and stable" upgrade.
I do mostly Rhino and Vray on macOS and Solidworks on Windows via Bootcamp and would actually need a certified "pro" graphics card.

Did anyone tried one of the new Radeon Pro WX4100 jet?

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
Full RX 460 with 1024 GCN cores, should be on 119$ mark.

The GPU most likely will be used in refreshed Polaris lineup. Sapphire could use it with current branding.

theitsage

Suspended
Aug 28, 2005
Hi, I'm doing CAD work on a 5.1 Mac Pro, and looking for a "non-hassle and stable" upgrade.
I do mostly Rhino and Vray on macOS and Solidworks on Windows via Bootcamp and would actually need a certified "pro" graphics card.

Radeon Pro WX4100 has PCI ID 67e3 so it would require the same kext mods.

An architect in Germany asked me about using the WX7100 (67c4) and he's going to try one soon. When I hear from him, I'll post an update.

theitsage

Suspended
Aug 28, 2005
We can do the 1024 stream processors unlock on almost all RX 460 available. I tried it successfully on an Asus RX 460 2GB. The instructions and ROMs are here. http://overclocking.guide/amd-radeon-rx-460-unlocking-1024-stream-processors/

The RX 460 is definitely a nice replacement card for GT 120 and HD 5770.

The Radeon Pro WX cards work in macOS using the same kext edits.

Reactions: whartung

joebclash

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
We can do the 1024 stream processors unlock on almost all RX 460 available. I tried it successfully on an Asus RX 460 2GB. The instructions and ROMs are here. http://overclocking.guide/amd-radeon-rx-460-unlocking-1024-stream-processors/

I read somewhere that macOS doesn't take full advantage of rx 460. Is this true or just internet urban myth?

whartung

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2014

Just got my Sapphire Nitro RX 460 4gb OC in the mail. Now just trying to figure out what to do with it!

If I'm correct, powering the computer off, installing it, and powering it back on will get me going - no need for kexts or anything? And what you're saying is I need to get into the bios to get the 1024 stream processors? Makes a noticeable performance difference? I assume it takes windows to do this - can it be done in Bootcamp Windows or does it have to be a PC?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Just got my Sapphire Nitro RX 460 4gb OC in the mail. Now just trying to figure out what to do with it!

If I'm correct, powering the computer off, installing it, and powering it back on will get me going - no need for kexts or anything? And what you're saying is I need to get into the bios to get the 1024 stream processors? Makes a noticeable performance difference? I assume it takes windows to do this - can it be done in Bootcamp Windows or does it have to be a PC?

Yes, a 460 should be plug and play. If it doesn't work, then nothing you can do, 99% means the card is not supported or faulty.

Your Mac Pro is a PC, just a specific type PC. And Bootcamp Windows is normal Windows. Of course you can do the flashing in bootcamp. However, I don't think it's a good idea to do it now. At least use the card for a period of time, make sure it's normal (no need for RMA or return), and then decide if you really need that extra power (also potential extra trouble).

So, before you flash the card, you know how it perform. And you can tell if there is any difference (both good and bad) in real world after flash, do you want to keep the unlock etc.

Of course, if you don't care about the card, you just want some fun. That's it's another matter.

whartung

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2014
Yes, a 460 should be plug and play. If it doesn't work, then nothing you can do, 99% means the card is not supported or faulty.

Your Mac Pro is a PC, just a specific type PC. And Bootcamp Windows is normal Windows. Of course you can do the flashing in bootcamp. However, I don't think it's a good idea to do it now. At least use the card for a period of time, make sure it's normal (no need for RMA or return), and then decide if you really need that extra power (also potential extra trouble).

So, before you flash the card, you know how it perform. And you can tell if there is any difference (both good and bad) in real world after flash, do you want to keep the unlock etc.

Of course, if you don't care about the card, you just want some fun. That's it's another matter.

Just got it plugged in. Here's my situation - maybe you can give me some advice:

Removed the 5770.
Installed the RX 460
Rebooted computer - no boot screen. Desktop shows up shortly afterwards.
About this Mac shows: AMD R9 xxx 4096 MB
System Report > PCI shows: "There was an error while gathering PCI device information" which is unsettling.

When the computer boots, I can see the 460's fans spin up, but they come to a halt when the computer reaches the desktop. If I spin up the fans manually with iStat they still do not spin up.

Any advice?

EDIT: Quick revision - I just opened one of the few games I have, Civ VI, and let it run a benchmark, which seemed to do decent - more importantly, I cracked the case open and took a look at the fans, and they spun up in the game, so that's reassuring.

Still wish I could have the PCI information, since I use it for my ACHI blade as well - is this a cosmetic issue which is fixed if I change the kext information, or does that strictly impact the computer displaying RX 460 instead of R9?

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Just got it plugged in. Here's my situation - maybe you can give me some advice:

Removed the 5770.
Installed the RX 460
System Report > PCI shows: "There was an error while gathering PCI device information" which is unsettling.

When the computer boots, I can see the 460's fans spin up, but they come to a halt when the computer reaches the desktop. If I spin up the fans manually with iStat they still do not spin up.

Any advice?

EDIT: Quick revision - I just opened one of the few games I have, Civ VI, and let it run a benchmark, which seemed to do decent - more importantly, I cracked the case open and took a look at the fans, and they spun up in the game, so that's reassuring.

Still wish I could have the PCI information, since I use it for my ACHI blade as well - is this a cosmetic issue which is fixed if I change the kext information, or does that strictly impact the computer displaying RX 460 instead of R9?

It seems you already know that only flashed card or Apple stock card can shows boot screen. And the fan will only spin when the card under stress.

For the PCI information. That's normal, and very common. Still not 100% sure the reason. Some users assume it's because the graphic lack of Mac EFI. However, even I boot my 7950 and R9 280 from the non Mac EFI ROM, I can still have PCI info correctly. So, obviously Mac EFI is not the only source to cause this error. AFAIK, this is just cosmetic and has no effect on stability, functions, performance...

If you want it shows RX460, you can always edit the kext. It's very easy, but again, purely cosmetic.

mennobroere

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2017

Removed the 5770.
Installed the RX 460

Any advice?

Hi Whartung,

I have to same issue. But when running final cut Pro X the complete system freeze exept mouse movement. When starting Cinebench r15 openGL tests the software crashes. Its also stated in Cinebench that its a AMS Radeon HD Baffin prototype.

Have you noticed any of this? Or did you found some work arounds for your problems?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.