Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

I belong to a history forum and I need to show my forum comembers a scanned document that is in .jpg format. Almost the whole document
is text. I was wondering how the people in the forum could fully view
the document. Should I upload it to my blog, or will the image be
too small to have the sentences read ??

Please give me an idea of how I could share an 8x10 document, (A4),
with other people.

Thank you very much, kind regards,

igmolinav

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Best bet would be to scan it as a PDF and allow your friends to download the file. A photocopier that can scan to a PDF can get the file size pretty small with little loss of quality.

A jpeg is not the right format and it's probably a very big file. If you don't have access to something that can scan as PDFs, you could use something to convert the jpeg to a PDF without losing quality. Perhaps a liscensed version of Acrobat???

ft

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
A jpeg is not the right format and it's probably a very big file. If you don't have access to something that can scan as PDFs, you could use something to convert the jpeg to a PDF without losing quality. Perhaps a liscensed version of Acrobat???

ft

Yes, Acrobat would be ideal but you can on a Mac simply choose "PDF FIle" when you print. This will convert the document to PDF. Acrobat does a better job.

You can run the document through OCR and convert it to text but then you only have the test in a modern font. This would be very small but you loose some of the "look" of a historic doccument.

Either way there is a funimental problem. Monitor screen do not have the resolution of printed paper. A screen size image will never be sharp and clear. If you want the you will have to provide a downloadable file that can be printed.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

Thank you for your repply, and then can I uploaded to my blog ??

Kind regards,

igmolinav

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Yes, Acrobat would be ideal but you can on a Mac simply choose "PDF FIle" when you print. This will convert the document to PDF. Acrobat does a better job.

In my experience, using the "Print to PDF" function on a JPEG results in a PDF file that's larger than the JPEG file. In that case, you're better off uploading the JPEG.

I was thinking that if the JPEG is of sufficient quality, Acrobat could turn it into a smaller PDF file without losing too much detail.

To the OP, after you get your file, then yeah, upload it to your blog. Or you could put it on Photobucket and link to it.

ft

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.