Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisburke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Got the nifty 50 (Nikkor 50mm f1.8) today.. this was the first pic I took with it (click for full size)
Click for full size

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I have the feeling that's its HDR unless the sky is already that dark to begin with.

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
the EXIF data says it's been through Photoshop and the OP posted a wrong link on the HDR thread if i'm not mistaking.
The result is nice even though I have the impression it's been generated from one or a few JPEGs, dunno, that would explain some of the noise
My point, though, is that the use of the lens used would be a wider aperture/ shallower DOF, f6.7 that seems used for this pic, is available on a kit lens, I think

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Fun pic! Popular subject, here's a pic I took 2 years ago =)

126979955_Gugxt-M.jpg

chrisburke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
yes, this is an HDR... its made for 4 different exposure (-4, -2, 0, 2, 4) I agree on the comment about th DOF.. i had literally JUST bought the lens, slapped it on my camera, and took the picture... i had messed with anything yet, as I just threw it on program mode for the heck of getting a picture to see the quality of the lens (nifty 50)

as for the comment on the sky ('i would like to see more sky') if that was the focus of this image, I would totally agree, but the focus is the tracks..

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
anyone else think these would look nice in portrait mode? vertically or whatever you prefer calling it..the railway could still occupy 2/3s of the pic and there could be some trees as well and some more sky

jpfisher

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2006
New Jersey
I agree witht he comments on the framing and tilt... bring the camera closer to the ground, too -- that might help.

Don't really agree with the suggestions to open it up for a shallow depth of field -- I'm not sure what selective focus would accomplish here. Nothing wrong with the aperture.

Just because a lens can shoot at f/1.8, it doesn't mean you have to do so for every shot...

NintendoChick

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
anyone else think these would look nice in portrait mode? vertically or whatever you prefer calling it..the railway could still occupy 2/3s of the pic and there could be some trees as well and some more sky

Ha, that was about to be my reply... :D

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
this was my immediate reaction to that comment to

where was I suggesting a shallower DOF? I was just saying the picture had nothing to do with your new Lens, as you could get the same picture with your kit lens..the picture talks more about your Photoshop/Photomatix License

chrisburke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
where was I suggesting a shallower DOF? I was just saying the picture had nothing to do with your new Lens, as you could get the same picture with your kit lens..the picture talks more about your Photoshop/Photomatix License

yes, it could have been acheived with my kit lens.. however, it wouldnt be as nice a picture, because this lens is much clearer than my kit lens... as stated, just because it goes to 1.8 doesnt mean i have to use it all the time

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Straighten it so it's level... Nothing kills a picture faster than a skewed horizon line or other feature we'd assume to be level (the closest track tie for example).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.