Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA
Hello everyone,

I thought I would share a fun story with you. I have often been interested in photography and last summer took the plunge into the dSLR world with an XSi. I have taken quite a few pictures in the 8 or so months that I have had the camera and I'm having a great time doing it.

Well this summer I took some neat shots of a covered bridge at night. You can see the picture below. Some friends saw it and recommended I show it to a local calendar person. The good news is that I had my first picture published!

This picture has since been published in a local calendar and even cooler news is that people are now asking to buy copies! : ) I didn't think anyone would ever want one of my pictures and it's really flattering!

Anyway, just wanted to share the good news with you folks.

Attachments

• Bridge at dusk.JPG
    Bridge at dusk.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 187

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Great work! This experience should illustrate that anyone is capable of taking good pictures if he / she perseveres and has a passion for their work. A lot of people will give you the impression that you need equipment and thousands of dollars to consider yourself a good photographer. You have the right idea, however. Stay at it!

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Hear me out on this one.

I don't think it is a picture that is anything special but, but i congratuate you for having made money from it.

I do think there is something interesting about it apart from composition.

What interests me is the light underneath the bridge. Reminding me of another photographer called Gregory Crewsdon. Look at his stuff and there is an atmosphere about them, and your photo (for me) has a tiny bit of it there.

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2008
Part of the old MR guard.
Meh heh heh... Time to sell it.

Jk. But I think you should watermark it, even if you do not want to, just do it in the corner. Some evil people might sell it off.

What type of camera do you use? (I'm interested in going to photography too now, after your photo. Thanks for the inspiration. ;) )

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA
Hear me out on this one.

I don't think it is a picture that is anything special but, but i congratuate you for having made money from it.

I do think there is something interesting about it apart from composition.

What interests me is the light underneath the bridge. Reminding me of another photographer called Gregory Crewsdon. Look at his stuff and there is an atmosphere about them, and your photo (for me) has a tiny bit of it there.

I hear ya - it's not the second raising of the flag at Iwo, but in my neck of the woods this bridge is pretty special. I plan to keep tinkering with shots of it from different angles, lighting etc. I got a few great shots of it during sunset right after an ice storm. Pretty cool shots.

I'm looking forward to a foggy night but we haven't had any lately. The lights underneath the bridge were just added last summer and give the bridge a completely different feel.

Meh heh heh... Time to sell it.

Jk. But I think you should watermark it, even if you do not want to, just do it in the corner. Some evil people might sell it off.

What type of camera do you use? (I'm interested in going to photography too now, after your photo. Thanks for the inspiration. ;) )

Yea, I should watermark - honestly I just don't know how. I need to research that a bit.

Here is my gear list (all Canon stuff):

Canon Rebel XSi
24-105mm L IS,
70-200mm 2.8 L IS,
18-55mm kit,
50mm f/1.4,
70-300mm 4.5 IS
Speedlite 430EX Flash

The above image was taken with the stock / kit lens right after I bought it. I rarely use the kit lens at all now. The 24-105L is on my camera nearly 100% of the time. It's a GREAT lens for me - it's flexible in range, relatively lightweight, has L glass and has IS. It's darn near perfect! :)

The kit lens that comes with the XSi is a pretty good lens. Good range and has IS.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Here is my gear list (all Canon stuff):

Canon Rebel XSi
24-105mm L IS,
70-200mm 2.8 L IS,
18-55mm kit,
50mm f/1.4,
70-300mm 4.5 IS
Speedlite 430EX Flash

Criminy!! For a guy who just started using a DSLR eight months ago, you have quite the kit there! :eek:

Congrats on the calendar. I remember that shot from the daily thread (or wherever it was). :)

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA
Criminy!! For a guy who just started using a DSLR eight months ago, you have quite the kit there! :eek:

Congrats on the calendar. I remember that shot from the daily thread (or wherever it was). :)

Hehehe - thanks! I think it was my one and only post to the dailies. I should post more. I shoot nearly every day, but most are of my growing family.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.