Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

no girls

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
After installing Big Sur, the functionality of using the function key short cuts to adjust screen brightness, change volume, show desktop, play pause media, etc is gone. Before updating from Catalina, I was able to press F11 and F12 on my external keyboard to increase and decrease volume for example. After installing Big Sur, that functionality is gone. Is this a bug or is it intended to be like this?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I don't know about Big Sur since I'm not currently testing it. But you might want to check System Preferences, Keyboard, and make sure the option to use the F1, F2 keys as standard function keys has not been selected.

If that has been selected it changes the way the F keys act.

no girls

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
I don't know about Big Sur since I'm not currently testing it. But you might want to check System Preferences, Keyboard, and make sure the option to use the F1, F2 keys as standard function keys has not been selected.

If that has been selected it changes the way the F keys act.
hello, thanks for the reply. yes that function has not been selected. this issue only arose after installing big sur and the option is still unselected. :(

Bboywake

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2009
I installed Big Sur last week and had the same issue. Could not adjust brightness, volume, etc from my external keyboard (Magic Keyboard). I had looked everywhere and couldn't find any info until I stumbled on this post. I started typing a message here saying I had the same issue, but then I was able to fix it.

I unpaired my keyboard and re-paired (by connecting USB to Lightning port), and all of the labeled keyboard shortcuts seem to be working as they should. Volume, display brightness, launchpad, volume, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.